News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Is SMF 2 downgradable?

Started by LiamTheDuck, June 19, 2008, 03:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiamTheDuck

I really am hating the lack of themes and mods so I want to see if downgrading is an option as 1.1.5 is still supported.

~Pimper12
I am back, its been like a year... so yeah.... how has it been? :D

codenaught

Search is your friend this has been asked many times.

Quote from: akabugeyes on June 18, 2008, 11:55:52 PM
If you made a backup of your forum's database before you upgraded to 2.0, then yes you can. Although you would lose all data that has been added to the database since you upgraded to 2.0.

There is no direct 2.0 => 1.1 downgrade script I am afraid.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

LiamTheDuck

Dam... Sometimes I wonder why i upgraded as i believe its no different and just doesnt have much mods and themes
I am back, its been like a year... so yeah.... how has it been? :D

xyxis_fahim

To make matter worst, there is no SMF 2 to VB Convert.

NickC

SMF 2 is currently in beta, and clear warnings are provided to advise against running it on a production site. It isn't really fair to criticise it for its lack of themes and mods when it isn't finished and hasn't been released as a production product.

Beta software releases are designed for testing and development purposes only.

Dragooon

@xyxis There is a SMF 2-phpBB converter, so you can convert from phpBB back to SMF 1.1, and I believe there's a vB converter to, I saw somewhere.

babjusi

Quote from: [●ριмρєя12●] on June 19, 2008, 03:47:10 PM
I really am hating the lack of themes and mods so I want to see if downgrading is an option as 1.1.5 is still supported.

~Pimper12

Or what you can also do is to downgrade your forum manually if you want. But it will involve some serious work though. You must compare the difference in the db structure between the 2 versions db and apply the changes. Like for example the 'ID_MEMBER' is renamed 'id_member' and the 'instantMessages' is renamed 'instant_messages'.  Or the new columns en tables that are added in SMF 2.0. which must be gone as well.  The permission system also is changed a lot in the 2.0. It would be much easier to simply delete them all and recreate them again. And the smf version at the smf_settings table and so on and so on. The list is quite long I am afraid.

xyxis_fahim

Quote from: Dragooon on June 20, 2008, 11:17:08 AM
@xyxis There is a SMF 2-phpBB converter, so you can convert from phpBB back to SMF 1.1, and I believe there's a vB converter to, I saw somewhere.
Thanks for the idea. I'll have a look.

And for VB, the IMPEX only allowes below SMF 2 to convert.

Update ::SMF 2 converter is out for VB :)

Advertisement: