News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Age & Gender Board Filter Mod

Started by Eliana Tamerin, June 20, 2008, 03:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~DS~

No Kcmartz, you are not allowed to distribute even a unofficial mod without the author's permission.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

KensonPlays

like I was saying, IF. But they couldn't just email it to me and noone else? or could they post instructions on how to edit and everything?

Eliana Tamerin

Go ahead, kcmartz. Just know, I won't support your version, so anyone with problems will have to come to you.

Sorry about the delays guys. I've been very unmotivated to keep at this with all the chaos and upheaval regarding the SMF team and politics. I hope I can get back into it.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

KensonPlays

Well, I won't code it, I don't know enough PHP for one, and don't know SMF code except for menu item manually editing etc...

More-to-life

UK Bike Forum - The biggest motorcycle forum magazine in Wales UK.
Gear Up Magazine - Gear Up Motorcycle Magazine.
United Bikers UK Motorcycle Forum - A Brand New UK Bike Forum.
Used Cars South Wales - Search For Your Next Used Car In Laleston, Bridgend, South Wales.
Bikers Of Wales Motorcycle Website - Motorbike Info
Honda - Honda UK

MaXiForum.cz

Lolafish

AquaPuppies - A Goldfish Community
www.aquapuppies.com

Running SMF 2.0.2 & SimplePortal 2.3.5

Bugo

I rewrote this mod for SMF 2.0 RC3 by using the standard profile fields. See screenshots.

If the author allows it, I ready to provide files with the changes :)

Succubus Evaligan

Quote from: Bugo on September 06, 2010, 06:56:48 AM
I rewrote this mod for SMF 2.0 RC3 by using the standard profile fields. See screenshots.

We really needs that this works for SMF 2RC4 now. Because SMF 1.1.12 will become obsolete in the near future, once it is ready for version SMF 2 final.

Perhaps not many people use this mod on their forums, but in my case is vital because my forum is based on genres and ages. Without this mod my users can change the age and change their sex, that is why I have not upgraded to SMF 2RC4.
Yuri Goddess

Robin1989

any chance of an update to this for RC4

TheListener

Quote from: Succubus Evaligan on November 08, 2010, 12:53:42 PM
Quote from: Bugo on September 06, 2010, 06:56:48 AM

We really needs that this works for SMF 2RC4 now. Because SMF 1.1.12 will become obsolete in the near future, once it is ready for version SMF 2 final.

Quote from: Robin1989 on January 27, 2011, 06:58:53 PM
any chance of an update to this for RC4

The following is stated in the mods first post.

This mod is written for 1.1.5. It may work on older versions (no guarantee), but it will not work on any 2.0 versions. An upgrade to 2.0 is not yet planned.

anakmacan

Please make it work on RC5, or create a premium version for it i dont mind to buy a good mod like this with affordable price.

mattio41

Any plans for 2.0 yet??? I am very interested??

The Wizard

Hello:

I run a children's/ teens board and currently I am using this mod on my 1.1.16 forum.
I would like to upgrade to 2.0.2. and so I really need a 2.0 or 2.0.2 version of this mod. Can any one help??

Thanks

Wiz

The Wizard

Description:

AGE & HIDE AGE BOARD FILTER MOD
Version 1.0

By The Wizard
Special Credit to dooie for wighting the Select Box Code

This Mod is a Spin off of the AGE & GENDER BOARD FILTER MOD
By Eliana Tamerin || Originally by Senkusha

This mod is written for 2.0.2. It may work on older versions (no guarantee), but it will not work on any 1.x versions.
Warning Installing any modification is a risk to your forum. Please backup BOTH your database (structure and data) and files before attempting to install. You have been warned.

Introduction:

Restrict entrance into a specific board by profile-set age. It also allows the user to hide their age from other users (This will not affect the Admins as the will be able to see the users age at all times.) It also hides all the users age's in the Calendar while still allowing everybody to know when their birthday is. A very handy feature if you run a kids/teens forum, or have a board with allot of females on it. Ages over 80 default to 0 for the purposes of this mod.

Also, please note that this mod will restrict guests from entering the boards you modify with the age options. This also means that search engines will not be able to access these boards.

How To Use This Mod

-Install the mod
-Navigate to Admin CP > Boards > (Board you wish to modify) "Modify"
-Enter minimum age and maximum age you wish to restrict
-Click "Modify"
-Users are now allowed into/restricted from the board you just modified based on their his minimum age, maximum age

-Hide Age form other users
-User Profile>Modify Profile>Forum Profile>
--Check/uncheck the option "Do not Show My Age" Under Birthdate
--Save

Regarding Installing and Upgrades of this Mod:

As I have said this is a Spin off of the Age & Gender Board Filter Mod so if you don't have this installed you will have to figure out how to create the required fields in your MySql database. I don't know much about Mysql. Also you will have to install the changes by hand as I don't know how to create a version for the package manager. If anyone knows how to do either please post the files. I know a few users would be greatfull.

Upgrades and Support:

I have no plans for a upgrade nor can I offer support. I am not a true programme. I am what you would call a reverse engineer. I take what people create, and figure out what works, or what needs to be changed, or tweaked. Feel free to make changes to my code and improve on my simple design. Just be nice and post your code so everybody can enjoy.

Does this work?

I have tested this design, and everything works on 2.0.2, but at this time I can't make the birthdate select box when you register a requirement. If you can make this happen please post the code for everybody yo use - thanks.

Gender Mod:

I did not need this feature for my board, and so to make things simpler I just removed the code while I was creating a 2.0.2 version. Also I could not figure out how to make some of the gender code work. If you can help out with this I know other users would be greatfull.

In short my spin off is not as elegant as other mods, but it gets the job done. I hope you all enjoy.

The Wizard

Attached is a text file that lists all the changes that need to be made.

Sakae

Up.

Any chance this works on SMF 2.0.10?

It's very useful to allow access to some boards based on the age and/or gender of the member.
http://www.tigrelog.com.br
l: simple p: machines

DeveloperMcD

Can anyone help me update this mod for SMF 2.0.13?

I really need this feature. Thanks!

Arantor

Even though you have a number of people pointing out why it's a bad feature (and why it's never been updated)?

DeveloperMcD

Yes, even with the limitations.

I run a message board of very conservative, religious people. The "women's forum" is more of a ladies-only bingo night than a women's locker room or slumber party. In other words, stuff men wouldn't want to hear or participate in. None of the male members on my forum would want his permanent account to be set to "female" so he could sneak in and hear how various housewives like to decorate their homes!

Also, my forum is rather small. We're talking about a few thousand members. It's harder to live a lie in a small town than a large city.

Long story short, I've had this feature on my site for a couple years, and "it works" for those in my niche. I've been working on migrating to SMF for a week now, and I got pretty much everything else set up. I seemed to remember there being a male/female board Mod, but I forgot that the (only) Mod was obsolete and ancient.

Arantor

The honest reality is that if you want that specific plugin, you'll probably have to pay someone, and it probably won't work properly, or build it yourself, or find some alternative.

I'd still suggest using groups and letting people opt into them rather than keying it to the gender field.

Advertisement: