Age & Gender Board Filter Mod

Started by Eliana Tamerin, June 20, 2008, 03:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeveloperMcD

Ok, I implemented something by hand which does MOST of what I need.

1. Most of this mod is the "manage boards" code, changes to profile, etc. and basically housekeeping for the new fields. I don't need this.
2. A bunch more of the code has to do with age and age ranges -- again, I don't need this.

I got it working so women see all boards (plus women's only) and men see all boards (plus men's only)
However, if I bookmark the men/women forum, and try to access it from the other gender, it is allowed.

I need to add this restriction, and then I should be good.

Arantor

As opposed to using the request-access-to-groups feature, I see.

Irisado

Merged to mod support topic, as it makes more sense for the discussion to be here.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

shadav

I know this is old, sorry, but I am looking for this mod... any chance of an update or a newer version somewhere?
Thank you :)
Installed smf just for this mod and come to find out that it doesn't work on 2.x :(

Diego Andrés

Mod was last updated 11 years ago so not very likely.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Arantor

It's also a really bad idea since 1) users can lie, 2) users can just change these things once they have added them and 3) what stops a user making another account to see the content they're not supposed to see?

shadav

Quote from: Arantor on August 13, 2019, 02:39:52 AM
It's also a really bad idea since 1) users can lie, 2) users can just change these things once they have added them and 3) what stops a user making another account to see the content they're not supposed to see?
true, would need to find a way to make it so they can't adjust it after it's been set
and well if found that they had done so, then ban them :D
I'm trying to set up a religious forum and need some forums set for women only and some set for men only.

I mean I guess I could do as someone suggested and just create user group and set permissions that way but that's more of a hassle ;) having to go through and add each new member individually, would be nice to have something like this that is more automated

Arantor

If it's manual, it's harder for people to lie about it. Mind you, I have to be honest in that I have never been very sympathetic to the entire concept of doing this for that reason.

Gwenwyfar

And there's the fact admins can always see both and that someone might just pass information to the others... Which can end up killing the point entirely or just being drama fuel. I've seen this being done (manually) before and it still ended badly. You might want to define the content there with this in mind already. I suppose there might be some use to certain subjects that no one would want to know, particularly.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

shadav

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on August 14, 2019, 10:45:49 AM
And there's the fact admins can always see both and that someone might just pass information to the others... Which can end up killing the point entirely or just being drama fuel. I've seen this being done (manually) before and it still ended badly. You might want to define the content there with this in mind already. I suppose there might be some use to certain subjects that no one would want to know, particularly.
hahaha yeah, tmi but it would be mainly set for women to talk about womanly issues (monthly issues, body changes after birth, ect), stuff that men don't really want to read about and then to be fair a men's only forum for them to discuss manly ( :laugh: ) issues that women don't really want to read about... and so that they can ask honestly without fear of the other gender judging them or saying something, well rather stupid...

Gwenwyfar

Ah, makes sense. That'd certainly fall into one of the "don't wanna hear about nor make drama about" zones. At least if your forum doesn't have immature members. Could always add a minimum post limit to cut off people registering just to see something, as well.

Arantor

If it's about that, make the boards opt in with joinable groups.

shadav

Quote from: Arantor on August 14, 2019, 06:14:17 PM
you got my hopes up for nothing  :laugh: searched for joinable groups but it's not updated for 2.0.15 either, I'll try to manually install it and see if it works, thank you for the suggestion :)

Arantor

Why would a mod be updated when it's literally a core feature? Go make a group, select that it is either freely joinable or that people have to request to join, use member then to restrict board access.

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on August 14, 2019, 06:14:17 PM
Yeah, I think that's a better idea :P

shadav

Quote from: Arantor on August 15, 2019, 02:35:15 AM
Why would a mod be updated when it's literally a core feature? Go make a group, select that it is either freely joinable or that people have to request to join, use member then to restrict board access.
hm, I don't know, I thought you were talking about a mod, I found one named that :D and managed to install it, so this will work I guess. thank you  :)

Arantor

That doesn't do what I talked about - that just expands what the core does already to allow choosing on sign up (as opposed to joining groups after registration)

Advertisement: