News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Is there a roadmap for 2.0 anywhere?

Started by s_mack, June 25, 2008, 08:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s_mack

I just found SMF yesterday.  Never heard of it before.  Looked good, so want to use it for my new site.  I already found a bug... its cool, its minor... but then I got to thinking... since I know NOTHING about where this software came from, I know even less about where its going.

I surfed around but didn't find a roadmap.  A sort of schematic showing the planned route of things.

So my question is simple.  What's the plan?  Is 2.x expected to be final this week?  This month? This year?

Only reason I ask is to know if I should be installing v1 or jumping into v2.  No point going for v1 if v2 is really almost finished anyway.

Cheers.

Jade Elizabeth

There isnt a roadmap. There is talk of this all over the site lol. If you find a bug, report it here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=137.0
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

s_mack

Jade Elizabeth

No no, we have a plan, it's just that we dont have a roadmap ;).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

SunilDVR

Quote from: s_mack on June 26, 2008, 02:25:53 AM
Gotcha... coding without a plan.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

My understanding of the SMF development team's process is as follows: they don't wish to promise "we'll have this done by xyz date", because they might hit unforseen difficulties and overrun. I, for one, would rather they took the time to fix bugs and security vulnerabilities properly rather overlooking them to ensure a pre-announced release date.

Remember that SMF isn't a large company where they can draft extra coders in if they look like they're about to miss a deadline.

Sunil

s_mack

I wasn't trying to be "harsh" :)

I get your point of not giving a specific date, but what I asked was
QuoteIs 2.x expected to be final this week?  This month? This year?

First, there's the word "expected", which an answer to would be by no means interpretted as a "promise".  Second, those were pretty broad timeframes.  It wouldn't have been hard to give me a satisfactory answer.  So if there is no roadmap, no forthcoming info on "the plan", and I can't even get a "yeah probably this year" out of them, then its clear I shouldn't be installing the Beta.  Which is cool... it is a beta.  Some teams have betas out for a few weeks... others take years.  I just wanted a hint on where this was falling.

[was I really asking too much?]

Jade Elizabeth

Well expect it this year, maybe next month since this is almost ended, or the month after that...so on so forth lol

I really have no clue, there are TONS of topics with dev input on this, search around a little :).

s_mack

Nah, that's cool... your answer is fine.

Thanks.

Advertisement: