News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Not Mac Friendly

Started by roger62305, January 17, 2005, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger62305

Would some one in your company please help the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club straighten out there site. They just updated the site with your software and for some reason the Mac users are having slow loading problems. This page (hxxp:www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php [nonactive]) and any page in the forum takes 5 minutes each to load.
They know they have a problem but they have not been able to correct it.
Hoping you would be able to help.

rogerh on CAFCNA

Grudge

What browser are you using? Have you tried something like firefox (I believe they do a mac version), to check it's not the browser struggling with some js of some sort.
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

I bet it's hostname lookups.  Five seconds is the magic number for hostname lookups.

-[Unknown]

roger62305

Why should I have to change my software to get that forum when I have no problems here? This appears to be the same forum software. I am using a G3 iMac 333 with OS 8.6 and IE.
Have you got a Mac to try to load the link I sited. If you have, you may be able to see the problem.

Roger

[Unknown]

Quote from: roger62305 on January 17, 2005, 09:06:01 PM
Why should I have to change my software to get that forum when I have no problems here? This appears to be the same forum software. I am using a G3 iMac 333 with OS 8.6 and IE.
Have you got a Mac to try to load the link I sited. If you have, you may be able to see the problem.

Roger,

While I personally prefer Windows and Linux to Macs, I have used Macs and you can be sure SMF has been tested to make sure it works properly with them.  The software itself is not incompatible; rather, some other problem is cropping up.

However, if you use Mac IE, I should note that - especially since Microsoft has completely stopped supporting it - it does not have the best support of the Mac browsers.  I recommend, instead, Camino, Mozilla, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or even OmniWeb (please note that the last has not seen extensive testing with SMF, but I expect it should work anyway.)

For me, the forum runs fine.  If it's a hostname lookup issue, it won't matter what browser you use; otherwise, it will get faster if you use a better/different browser.  If you could just try our suggestions, only temporarily, we would be better able to help you.

The owner of that site has an account here, and another person who is involved in the site does also.  I can contact them and describe what settings might be changed to improve your experience, but I would like to know that it would actually help before doing so.

Thanks,
-[Unknown]

ygmn

it seems this problem is associated with MACs running IE only...

check this thread for the dicsussion:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,38925.0.html

I will pm you an account name and password to try it with....

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?

LSU BABY!

Large SMF forum About a truck....go Figure?

Trekkie101

Its running painfully slow for me

Win XP SP2 - FF 1

ygmn

Quote from: Trekkie101 on January 19, 2005, 02:19:40 PM
Its running painfully slow for me

Win XP SP2 - FF 1

for real?

Flying for me....We moved to a new rented server from somewhere....and then did move to it and new SMF software all at the same time....

curious...as I am XP SP2 but IE latest....

and only the MAC with IE complain...

We are tweaking server still and fixing a few mods and fixing some old attachments and avatars from old YABBSE stuff....

LSU BABY!

[Unknown]

Not to harp on it, but did you ever try checking "disable hostname lookups" in your settings?

-[Unknown]

roger62305

Well it has been 2 weeks and CAFCNA is still not Mac Friendly. I was hoping that some one over here would be able to help our site. It is clear that who ever is work on the Mac slow loading problem on our end is not having any luck.
Thank you for your many responces to this thread.

roger

Jerry

did you disable host name lookups like [Unknown] asked?

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

roger62305

How you do that??? Is that in my site profile on CAFCNA?

roger

Jerry

Admin Panel -> Edit Features and Options -> Expand Layout and Options -> Check Disable hostname lookups.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

roger62305

Admin Panel?? Remimber this is a Mac and I am not a administrator of the site.

Jerry

well, the administrator on the site would have to change that.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

ygmn

Quote from: Jerry on February 02, 2005, 09:06:06 PM
Admin Panel -> Edit Features and Options -> Expand Layout and Options -> Check Disable hostname lookups.

YES....it has been disabled since day one

LSU BABY!

[Unknown]

If you disable the search functionality, temporarily, does it help at all?  I suppose it could be table locks, but why would that effect only Mac users?

You have a fairly large forum, though.  Can you make the members, attachments, log_search, log_topics, log_boards, log_mark_read, and perhaps topics tables all InnoDB instead of MyISAM in phpMyAdmin?  I can explain how to do that if you haven't done it before.

When it takes a long time to load, does a higher page load time show at the bottom of the page?

-[Unknown]

ygmn

Quote from: [Unknown] on February 03, 2005, 03:03:34 PM
If you disable the search functionality, temporarily, does it help at all? I suppose it could be table locks, but why would that effect only Mac users?

You have a fairly large forum, though. Can you make the members, attachments, log_search, log_topics, log_boards, log_mark_read, and perhaps topics tables all InnoDB instead of MyISAM in phpMyAdmin? I can explain how to do that if you haven't done it before.

When it takes a long time to load, does a higher page load time show at the bottom of the page?

-[Unknown]

I am asking one of our smarter ADMINS on this....
I would mess up the entire internet if I messed with the stuff not in the SMF admin section...hehehe

LSU BABY!

frijole73

I use a mac exclusively for webdesign, Safari for some reason had problem, and for get IE, it plans sucks.

Firefox is your best bet.

[Unknown]

But Safari shouldn't have a problem.  Maybe Camino, because that hasn't been tested (although it's just Gecko, isn't it?) but Safari and Konqueror (etc.) should be fine.

Mac IE is not officially supported.  It looks okay, but there are problems that really can't be well worked around.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: