Discuss Bot

Started by Sickthing, June 28, 2008, 03:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sickthing

About a year ago i tangled with the discuss bot but couldn't get it to work for me.  The Joomla to SMF discussbot.    It  didn't have author support at the time.  After spending hours with it I gave up.  I really need it though. 

Where should I get it?  What hack should I use to join joomla and the discuss bot.  If you've made it work, please let me  know and which hack you used to bridge Joomla and SMF.  thanks.

I know another Joomla based board has one that one works great but they don't have a revenue sharing mod and that is more important than the dicuss bot or bridge.

Johno69

What versions of each are you using?

Sickthing

If there is a version out there that works, that's what I'll use.  And if it works with a certain version of SMF and Joomla, I'll use those versions.

Johno69

I current use:

Joomla 1.0.12
SMF 1.1.2
DiscussBot 4.2 beta 3 - Joomla 1.0.X

And all are working fine. (great actually :) )

Sickthing

It has been a while since I tried it, but I think that was the combo I was using.  I don't fully understand the Joomla issues and their license, but I'm pretty sure that is stiffling support for and development of add ons, especially free ones.  I
thought Joomla might push their built in board but add ons are extremely lacking. 

I just read the joomla/smf thread discontinuing the work on the bridge because of this.  I think I'll just discontinue my use of Joomla until these kind of issues get worked out.

What is going on?  Do the Joomla developers wish to release paid for add ons so they stop the development of free ones?  Maybe I should ask this some place else.  Just trying to understand what it is going on.

Advertisement: