News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to make a forum famous

Started by kdoul, June 28, 2008, 06:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdoul

Hi. I have got a new forum. How can i make it a little famous ???

pauldm

you can start by including your forum link in your sig so we can have a look at it ;)
we all need to escape - http://www.escapework.net/forum [nofollow]

kdoul

Forum categories are in greek language. My forum is oneforum.us.to [nofollow] without www

jossanaijr

You could start making at least one post!  ;)

SlammedDime

And unless the forum is about something interesting that people have a need for, it won't really go anywhere.  If you don't have a target audience, then it may well not go anywhere either.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

kdoul

I will make some posts asap. :-)
And the forum has to be about something exclusively (eg about computer and networking) because mine is General.
And what do you mean about target audience?

locjan

promote your forum to people that interested in the topic and the layout must simple not ennoying people.
locjan.com - Free Korean Dramas OST shwoomp.com - Art of shwoomp

pauldm

you should probably have a link that works as well   ;D
we all need to escape - http://www.escapework.net/forum [nofollow]

jossanaijr

Quote from: pauldm on July 02, 2008, 05:34:16 PM
you should probably have a link that works as well   ;D
Yes... not working...

H

You can't make it famous overnight. You'll need decent content and lots of members. I suggest you read many of the guides in this board.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Angelotus

Link doesn´t work! First of all make shure you know to find your website :P

rtrev64

The problem I have is that most folks like to stay in a board already populated and wont budge from it. So I end up being the only poster and every once in a while someone will register but not post.

So to make your board popular I don't know how you do that besides targeting your groups who share the same interests but that is not guaranteed because if your target audience is already on a populated board they will not want to go through the hassle of registering, starting an new topic. Most posters already in populated boards do not want to do the leg work of making a board you created popular.. 

My Personal message board

ArkServer

I've got a java community here: www.javaforums.net although not a lot of people post it's doing ok because i'm helping them to learn java and like to answer their questions. In return they come back and ask more about learning how to code so its ok. :D

Angelotus

www.weeklyfun.nl has totally modified version of smf 2.0
take a look at some posts and the way they are lay-outed...

kiasusg

Yah, how to make it famous? Not easy man...

aldo

I have a few suggestions, they might have been said already, but hey if they keep getting said over and over again, it must be important huh? :P

1) Find a decent host with good uptime, you can't become known, if no one can get to your site.
2) Make posts yourself, if you make posts yourself, it will entice people to register and post, and they will start making new topics hopefully, and it will grow from there
3) Maybe find some link directories, submit your site.
4) Put your sites URL in your signatures of all the forums you are registered in, maybe even FeedBurn your sites RSS feed and put it in your signature, like I do, and a post might catch someones eye ;)

Advertisement: