News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Sites not showing since last saturday/sunday..?

Started by ceewee, July 02, 2008, 07:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumbaar

So had you installed any mods recently?  Or modified/accessed those files recently?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

ceewee

Quote from: Rumbaar on July 14, 2008, 12:51:56 AM
So had you installed any mods recently?  Or modified/accessed those files recently?

No, last mods were from January, and didn't modified those files, from January up till end  June everything worked fine, in 2 smf's (same mods, 96 of them ;-) ) unitedworldforum.net and hetforumvannederland.nl.
But then I've noticed my Mysql backups I've ordered thru control panel didn't show up for days, and then both sites went into oblivion.. asked helpedesk , they simply renamed index.php to index1.php and said see your site shows up...I just saw a directorylisting, not my idea of a running site...
I did 2 things then: tried to connect older Mysqlbackups to site, as backupjunkie I had numerous and  tried to see thru phpmyadmin in most recent db what's wrong.
Older backups wouldn't connect despite they had been running ok when I backupd them, just the first from January did. (would loose half years work then)
Checking most recent db made me realize that db size was quite large, these 2 forums had many visits from spiders and people as guest but just a very few real users, at the time I was only one posting.
Have another smf with 1500 users, 50 posting with 1,5 Gb attachments that size was just 3 Mb, while these 2 were above 10 Mb and growing each day.
Thru phpmyadmin I saw half of size was due to error messages, so emptied that, repaired and optimized  eh volia like the french said, sites were back online but with errors and that jibberisch in hetforumvannederland.nl. unitedworldforum.net worked flawless again without that jibberisch.
That's what made me search with ultra edit and find those admin.php and admin.template.php and
fixed it with copy from other smf.

But stiil, what caused this !?  Those mysql glitches at provider ?

Rumbaar

I wont profess to be an authority in mySQL and servers, but I can't see how a mySQL corruption of any kind can alter code or affect code of a static .php file like you had.  So I can't think of a link between the two or how it is even possible.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

青山 素子

After that description, it almost sounds like some general server issues, especially with things not showing up in your server's control panel. However, only your host really knows what happened - all everybody else can offer is speculation.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

ceewee

As long as sites are running (again), I stay (happy) in doubt. :-)  THX

Advertisement: