Child boards don't count towards main post/topic count?

Started by Phatmat, July 06, 2008, 10:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phatmat

Is there any way to add up the child board post/topic count and display it on the main forum post count? At the moment my child boards have posts and topics, though the main forum just says 0 posts, 0 topics.

- Matt.

codenaught

Admin / Boards / Settings / Count child's posts in parent's totals

Although I think that will count down one child board level. So I don't think parent boards will count the totals of grandchildren boards if you have any.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

xxx3332

oh man, i was also asking this myself.
akabugeyes could you explain what you just did, but in other words? i dont get what you mean :/

QuoteAlthough I think that will count down one child board level

codenaught

Explain how to reach the setting? In my post those are the links you have to follow to get to that setting and once you locate the setting you check the box next to it to enable it.

As for the quoted text what I mean is that a board on the board index can count in its own total posts and total topics count the posts made in a child board of itself. However if that child board also has a child board, the parent board I don't believe will count the topics and posts in its own total that were made in the child board's own child board.

Perhaps this will explain it better:

Parent Board [20 Topics] [50 Posts] [30 Topics Shown] [70 Posts Shown]
---Child Board of Parent Board [10 Topics] [20 Posts]
------Child Board of Child Board [1000 Topics] [2000 Posts]

Instead of an insanely high number of topics and posts shown for "Parent Board" because of the many made in the grandchild board, it only counts those made in a child board directly underneath it.
Dev Consultant

[SiNaN]

Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

codenaught

It turns out I am incorrect or at least not exactly correct.

The parent board will count many levels deep but will stop after a certain level is reached. In my testing it would only stop counting after 4 child board levels deep from the parent board.

So:

Parent Board on Board Index
---Child of Parent Board
------Child of above
---------Child of above
------------Child of above (Posts in this board will not count toward parent count)

And in most cases you do not need that many nested child boards. :)

However the "last post" information of a board stops displaying in the parent board after the grandchild board it appears.

Quote from: [SiNaN] on July 06, 2008, 01:07:58 PM
Bugeyes, it counts up to three levels.
Yeah I just noticed this myself.
Dev Consultant

[SiNaN]

Parent Board on Board Index
---Child of Parent Board - 1
------Child of above - 2
---------Child of above - 3
------------Child of above (Posts in this board will not count toward parent count)

So its 3 levels. :P
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

xxx3332

lol. genius talk x)
i got it, the part i didn't undersand was the quote, however i do now.

note: I applied the Count child's posts in parent's totals and it works perfectly fine.
I do not have child boards in child boards.

Phatmat

machmanx

Now the question is, can I modify the number of levels it counts?  I need 4 levels.  How do I go about this?

SlammedDime

That would be a bad idea... it is very sql intensive as it is, adding another level could quite possibly cause server load issues.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

machmanx

Sorry, I should've asked this in the proper topic, just noticed that this was SMF V.1  .  I use SMF 2.0 Beta 4.

Still, is it really that intensive to just add numbers?  I mean, can't it just take the total number from the child boards and add them together to show up in the final parent board, in my case?

Or, is there some mod that simply takes the count and adds the total in a different way as to not intensively use the database?  Like take the total already shown and add them up?

pobo424

Hi,
Can this be changed on the forum. If so, where?

I need this change.

Thank you for your help

Irisado

Please do not revive old support topics which have been marked as solved.  If you need support for this issue, please open a new topic in the appropriate support board.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: