News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Changing Forum Name

Started by stabarbarailoiloph, June 29, 2008, 07:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stabarbarailoiloph

Hi,im new in this forum and exited to create my new community forum but how can i change my forum title "my community" when i got this message"These settings cannot be changed because Settings.php is read only." ? another questionhow can replace smf logo with my own logo? thanks hopping for your reply...

by the way here is my forum: hxxp:stabarbarailoilophforum.net46.net [nonactive]

TiReDsOuL

admin >>> host settings >> and then  u can see forum name  change my community and save :)

smfthemes.org --language moderator
Özel mesajla yardım istemeyin artık okumuyorum bile..
Do NOT PM me for support unless I invite you, I will ignore you.
--------------------------------------
Uzun bir süre yok....

greyknight17

Welcome to SMF.

Is this issue resolved? If not, to change the title, open up your Settings.php file and you should see the My Community name there. Change it. Save the file and upload it back to the server.

For the logo, you can do this easily by renaming your own custom logo to smflogo.gif and then uploading it to /Themes/default/images/smflogo.gif

stabarbarailoiloph

@greyknight17
sorry but im really in on this one, by the way i'm using hxxp:000webhost.com [nonactive] and install my SMF there. is that the reason why I can't change my community to my desired forum name? How can I access my setting .php by the way? I hope you can help me. Thank you in advance. I really passionate to create one community using SMF.

xact

Quote from: stabarbarailoiloph on July 07, 2008, 01:20:10 AM
@greyknight17
sorry but im really in on this one, by the way i'm using 000webhost.com [nofollow] and install my SMF there. is that the reason why I can't change my community to my desired forum name? How can I access my setting .php by the way? I hope you can help me. Thank you in advance. I really passionate to create one community using SMF.

I used to have my website there. Great service, nice features, but low bandwidth.

Anyway,

In order to access settings.php file, you must have a ftp client program. Connect to your website using your ftp client program and the user/password supplied by 000webhost (as I recall username was something like "a123456") in the email with registration details, transfer the "Settings.php"(found in the same folder with index.php, Themes folder, etc) file to your computer; use a text editor to edit that file(I recommend notepad++ or ultraedit32) and change the string "My community" with "My forum" or whatever you want as title. After, upload the file using the ftp client to the server and replace the old Settins.php file.

Make sure you previously create a backup copy of that file in case something goes wrong.

Good luck!

photography [nofollow]

stabarbarailoiloph

@xact
thank you for a quick reply,i'll try your suggestion, here is another problem i encounter when i go to admin/configuration/server settings/core configuration it says "These settings cannot be changed because Settings.php is read only." and date appear to be like water mark, is there any possible way I can edit my forum there?

xact

I suggest connection to your website via ftp and change permission of Settings.php file to 666 or 777. I recommend using smartftp, it has a nice chmod feature(right click on file - chmod).

photography [nofollow]

stabarbarailoiloph

thanks a lot for all your suggestion, I manage to change my forum name and change smflogo using the file manager of my freewebhost. But stil i need your suggestion in WebDevelopment, like back up before changing any data...comments and suggestion are welcome...hxxp:www.stabarbarailoilophforum.co.cc [nonactive]

greyknight17

You can probably read the following:

Saving/Restoring, and Moving SMF From a Host to Another

Ignore the move to another host part. Similar instructions apply in terms of the backup part so it should give you a good idea on how it works. The database is the most important part since it contains all your forum data (posts, members, etc.).

Advertisement: