News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Wanting to covert a Yabb 2.1 board - advice - opinions please

Started by EL34, July 07, 2008, 10:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EL34

Hi all, I am not too happy with my Yabb board.
It runs ok most the time, but every time I go to upgrade, there are always issues.
Going back to yabb 1 up till the present, it seems it always something.

Some of the yabb forum mods just writes it off as the crummy IIS windows server and the problems never seem to get fixes until enough windows server people complain of the same thing.

My forum has approx 40,000 threads and 10 boards within the forum

Anywho, I am willing to dump Yabb 2.1 and give something else a try.
I see there is a converter available here which is great, it gives me the tools to transfer my forum.

I am here to ask other Yabb converts what they think overall of the SMF forum software compared to the Yabb software.
I don't need much of a push at this point to convert.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Forum History -> EZBoard -> YABB -> SMF 1.1.19 -> SMF 2.0.19

SleePy

The yabb converter may have issues. I was working on it with another yabb user but ran into an area where Jay would need to look at it and see what he thinks (He originally wrote it I believe).

I could try your yabb dump or I could give you the yabb file I currently have on my home computer that should fix some issues the converter had. Mostly with mysql strict mode though.
If you want to email it to me, my email is on the team page :)
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

EL34

Thanks,
Not sure what a yabb dump file is yet, I haven't gotten any further than just looking at features on the web site and downloading the conversion and main files.

Yabb is not in a MYsql database format and I have never really messed with a mysql data base.
My web host (IX web hosting) does have the mysql and phb set up stuff on the control panel, so I could get all that set up.
Probably need some help though on that since I am totally unfamiliar with mysql and phb.

Been doing perl programming for 7 or so years.

Should I just set up a dummy forum folder on the server and do the conversion to see what happens?

SleePy

By dump I did mean like a compressed single file that can be used to download the database.. I wouldn't want each one of those files sent one by one :P
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

EL34

Ah, ok, thanks

When I get some time, I am going to set up a test forum.
I'll see how the Yabb 2.1 conversion goes and then go from there.

Thanks for the info.

EL34

I am setting up a test forum to see how the process goes.

I set up the database in my server control panel.
Uploaded smf 1.1.5 full install
uploaded YaBB 2.1 Converter

Got the smf board installed, no problems.
Running the yabb 2.1 converter - several problems

First, the server keeps timing out and I have to start all over again. 3 times so far.

next, after starting the converter again, I get this message on different parts of the conversion.

QuoteConverting personal messages... Unsuccessful!
This query:
INSERT INTO `el34xyz_forum1`.smf_pm_recipients
(ID_PM, ID_MEMBER, labels, is_read)
SELECT pm.ID_PM, mem.ID_MEMBER, -1 AS labels, 1 AS is_read
FROM (`el34xyz_forum1`.smf_personal_messages AS pm, `el34xyz_forum1`.smf_members AS mem)
WHERE mem.memberName = pm.temp_toName
AND pm.temp_toName != '';
Caused the error:

Duplicate entry '1-54' for key 1

If the converter finishes setting up all the members, can't I just edit the yabb 2.1 converter to start after that point?
Advice needed.
thank for the help

EL34

The yabb 2.1 converter is getting as far as topics part 1 and then usually I get the message in the .gif file attachment.

Then I have to start the conversion from scratch again.
This is not going well so far.

Looks like all 1900 members are in the data base and much of the other stuff like PM's, etc all converted just fine.

Don't see the need for the converter to start from scratch?

Need help

SleePy

Do you have access to try this via command line? It seems like you have a fairly large forum...

Also try the attached file below. I believe I fixed the above issues as well as others.

EL34

Thanks jeremy,
I'll give your file a go when I get back to my shop tomorrow.

My yabb 2.1 forum has
36,000 post
4200 topics
1900 members

This is after I did a good house cleaning recently to delete post over a year and members that have not returned in quite a while.

Not sure about the command line thing. i believe I do through my PhpMyAdmin panel
mysql and php is all new to me.
would this be where I could run command line stuff. see attached .gif

SleePy

No command line would be accessing the server without a gui.
You can ask your host about this and if you got such access.

The command line option might help as it would by pass apache and you wouldn't have to worry about it timing out :)

You should take a little bit and try to learn a little bit about servers and such. Your board is getting close to becoming a big board (500k + posts) and its going to require more than a gui to be able to accomplish some tasks and manage your server(s).

EL34

Ah, ok

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I have been programming in perl many years and also recently Visual Basic, .net.

looking at the php scripts, they look very similar to perl.

never had the need for database stuff until now.

SleePy

Well once you learn one programing language it isn't hard to pick up the other.

It does have its similarities, but it also has its differences.

EL34

The yabb convert file in your link above, gives me the error below right off the bat.
The original yabb convert file seems to work, it just times out when converting the post.

QuoteConverting...
Converting members... Unsuccessful!
This query:
INSERT INTO `el34xyz_forum1`.smf_members
()
VALUES ('gilsmith', 'xxxxx7fbd3a19a51d333109b34572a', 'Alan', '[email protected]', '', '', '', '0', '0', '', '', '', '', '0', 'I love tube amps', 'blank.gif', '1215573258', '0', '0001-01-01', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Caused the error:

Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

note that I xxx'ed out some of the data above

Went back and tried the original yabb 2.1 converter file again
This time it got through Topics Part 1 and then got an error on topics part 2
getting further along this time and the server did not time out :)

QuoteConverting...
Converting topics (part 2)... Unsuccessful!
This query:
ALTER TABLE `el34xyz_forum1`.smf_log_topics
ADD PRIMARY KEY (ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER),
DROP COLUMN tempID;
Caused the error:

Duplicate entry '0-0' for key 1

SleePy

Well that first error is quiet odd. It lost all the key data from the insert it seems..

The second one is saying that step two hasn't really completed yet.. Step 2 is fixing the message ids.
Just try to run it again. Maybe it didn't complete or a change I made working on the conversion issues one user was having there created the problem.

Converting from flat file is kinda hard since things are done differently..

EL34

Tried it again.
this time I went into Yabb 2.1 and rebuilt every index for post and members in case there was some sort of garbage data.

Ran the main yabb 2.1 converter from the web site.
It got quite a ways into Topics part 2

Then got this message.
Hitting Try again did not work.

QuoteConverting...
This query:
DROP COLUMN tempID;
Caused the error:

SleePy

Which original yabb converter file are you using? The one from the downloads page or the one attached in the sticky on this board?

SleePy

EL34,

Give this one a try. I found the members issue.

My fault there, I added a return and saved it, causing it to make the members section fail :(

EL34

QuoteWhich original yabb converter file are you using? The one from the downloads page or the one attached in the sticky on this board?

Hey Jeremy,
I tried both of them earlier today. Neither would get any further than topics part2

I'll give the newest file a go tomorrow when I get back to my shop.

EL34

Jeremy, the latest yabb2.1 file above gets about to the same place in topics 2 and then splits out this error

QuoteConverting...
This query:
DROP COLUMN tempID;
Caused the error:

Try again does not correct the situation.

EL34

Ok, I may have found something that may be helpful.
Check out the screen shot.
On the left are all the items that smf set up.
I browsed every one of them and there didn't seem to be any problems, except for messages.
Look at the 3 error messages in this screen shot.

Advertisement: