News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Green Flowers

Started by Tamuril, September 27, 2010, 06:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikki73

Yea i get ya, thanks for that  :-*

Tamuril

QuoteThe one thing I'm not so sure of is the use of image buttons for the menu.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Sorry about the difficulty with the image buttons in the nav bar.

Tamuril

Quote from: LisaNY on October 04, 2010, 10:13:34 PM
This is a beautiful theme!   My favorite of the 2.0 themes so far.
I have one question about private messages.  On this particular theme, I am unable to see if I have a new private message.
I know that it gives you a pop-up alert, but what about in the top right of the forum, where it tells you that you have a new pm?

Thanks for the compliment. Also, if I disabled that, it must have been by accident... I have no reason to not include the private message text at the top. I'll look into this tomorrow.

Antechinus

Code for it is here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=402583.msg2809220#msg2809220 ;)

2.0 default doesn't actually include that text in the header any more so that's probably how you lost it.

Regarding buttons: may I suggest letting people have a basic button psd so they can do their own buttons? You wouldn't have to release the whole theme psd and anyone could handle the required css additions just by looking at the existing examples.

Tamuril

Thanks, Antechinus!

I have decided that I'm going to continue using images for the buttons in my themes. It is part of my individual style. However, I will be careful to include all of the standard buttons in the future... I will also watch the threads a little more closely to make sure that theme standards are functioning properly (such as the PM text, etc.)

The Back Fence

Any updates on adding a calendar button?

Obsydian

Is there a way to transform these buttons into actual text links while looking similar?
My forum wants to grow, but in order to do that, I can't have missing buttons.

Antechinus

Yes, it's possible. The short description is you would remove Tamuril's custom menu coding and substitute your own to get that result. It's not particularly difficult if you know some CSS. Are you any good at CSS, or do you need the whole thing done for you?

Just be aware that this theme was coded for SMF 2.0 RC3 (ie: not the final, stable version of 2.0) and it's possible there may be a few funny bits.

Antechinus

Posting this over here, so anyone can find it if they use this theme:

Quote from: Antechinus on August 11, 2019, 08:29:04 PM
Took a quick look at Google web fonts. Without going through every possibility, it appears the bold variant of the Arsenal font is an extremely close match to the font Tamuril used in the original images. I doubt most people would be able to pick the difference unless they were really trying to.

So, IMO the best option would be to call in Arsenal from Google and use that instead of the original menu images. With suitable choice of colour and text-shadow it should be almost indistinguishable from the original, and would make adding buttons a piece of cake. I'll play around with it later when I have more time.

Have played around with it, and it's a simple substitution. Turns out the Fira Sans Extra Condensed font is a better match than Arsenal. Arsenal doesn't look quite right in either normal or bold font weight, and some browsers won't support the semi-bold variant. Fira Sans Extra Condensed looks almost identical to Tamuril's original buttons if set to normal font weight. So, code:

Code (gfstyle.css - Find) Select
#navigation {
width: 100%;
min-width: 820px;
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-menubar.png) repeat-x;
height: 39px;
padding: 0;
margin: 0;
display: block;
white-space:nowrap;
}

.navlevel{
margin-right: 8px;
}
#back_admin  {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-admin.png) no-repeat;
width: 77px;
}
#back_admin span{
display: none;
}
#back_home {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-home.png) no-repeat;
width: 92px;
}
#back_home span{
}
#back_help {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-help.png) no-repeat;
width: 59px;
}
#back_help span{
}
#back_search {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-search.png) no-repeat;
width: 76px;
}
#back_search span{
}
#back_moderate {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-moderate.png) no-repeat;
width: 107px;
}
#back_moderate span{
}
#back_profile {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-profile.png) no-repeat;
width: 79px;
}
#back_profile span{
}
#back_mlist {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-members.png) no-repeat;
width: 100px;
}
#back_mlist span{
}
#back_pm {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-messages.png) no-repeat;
width: 133px;
}
#back_pm span{
}
#back_logout {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-logout.png) no-repeat;
width: 79px;
}
#back_logout span{
}
#back_login {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-login.png) no-repeat;
width: 66px;
}
#back_login span{
}
#back_register {
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-register.png) no-repeat;
width: 86px;
}
#back_register span{
}

Code (gfstyle.css - Replace) Select
#navigation {
min-width: 820px;
padding-left: 1em;
background: #e9e6e1 url(../images/theme/gf-menubar.png) repeat-x;
white-space:nowrap;
}

.dropmenu a span {
display: block;
padding: 0 3px;
font-size: 0.9em;
}

.dropmenu a>.navlevel {
padding: 0 5px;
line-height: 39px;
color: #fefffb;
font-family: "Fira Sans Extra Condensed", sans-serif;
font-size: 18px;
text-transform: lowercase;
letter-spacing: 1px;
text-shadow: 0 0 4px #566341;
}
/* Fixes for minor RC3 bugs. */
#main_admsection {
position: relative;
left: 0;
right: 0;
overflow: hidden;
}

#adm_submenus, #adm_submenus ul {
    padding-left: 1em;
}

Which saves a lot of stuff. :)
(The last two declarations are for fixing the small RC3 bugs that were in this theme, due to the state of 2.0.x dev builds at the time.)

You'll also need a small edit to index.template.php:

Code (index.template.php - Find) Select
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/gfstyle', $context['theme_variant'], '.css?rc3" />

Code (index.template.php - Replace) Select
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Fira+Sans+Extra+Condensed&display=swap">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/gfstyle', $context['theme_variant'], '.css?rc3" />

The result will look almost identical to the original, but will allow adding custom buttons without problems. Screenshot attached. Obviously it can be re-styled any way you like if you want a different look.

Advertisement: