News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Warning System

Started by deej2, July 10, 2008, 10:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deej2

I want to be able to allow individual board moderators the ability to warn users, however the only way I've been able to do that is to create a secondary group which all board mods would be in and give them permissions to warn users.

Unfortunately this means they can warn users no matter where the post is, and this is not the desired result. Am I doing something wrong or would I need to make a modification to the sites code for it to work the way I want?

P.S. Absolutely love SMF, the best free software available, and certainly on a par with vbulletin if the right packages are installed.

Assistance

ya the entire "Moderate the entire forum" section should really be in the Moderator permissions
~playing poker~

deej2

Quote from: Assistance on July 10, 2008, 04:27:12 PM
ya the entire "Moderate the entire forum" section should really be in the Moderator permissions

Sorry, don't quite get what you mean.

H

Perhaps I'm missing something but the warning system doesn't link warnings to posts which is why this is a global permission and not a board permission.

A secondary group would be the best way to achieve this.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

deej2

Quote from: H on July 11, 2008, 07:49:01 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something but the warning system doesn't link warnings to posts which is why this is a global permission and not a board permission.

Yeah I've set up the secondary group, but that has meant board moderators are able to see the warning link on any post.

Ideally I'd only want them to see the link in their own board. I suppose this will require a mod?

deej2

Quote from: H on July 11, 2008, 07:49:01 AM

Just tested the warning system, and whilst it doesn't link warnings to posts as such, the notification message does link to the post from which the moderator clicked the warn link.

SleePy

Warning users is not tied to posts. You can't grant it on a board by board basis as its a global permission.

I would suggest the secondary group. If you can't trust your moderators to not abuse the function, then you need new moderators.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Assistance

Quote from: SleePy on July 30, 2008, 01:44:09 AM
Warning users is not tied to posts.

just being an ass, but what else would you warn them for ?  O:)
~playing poker~

H

What sleepy means is that you can't directly link a warning to a post :).

However you could also warn them for PM spamming (if a PM has been reported) or something a user has done through a mod.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

shumilica

I'm sorry if I offend someone but to me it seems logical if a local moderator can only warn users who posted in their forum.

I will try a little suggetion, that will not do the job perfectly but i think it will do the trick for most of us, who want this feature:

I don't know PHP, but can't we put where is the link to the warn button something like:
if he can edit (or erase post) this post then show picture
because the edit/erase/move button will only show up in the forum where the local moderator is moderator, no? So why can't we put a simple code in display.template.php that does this?
So: put all the moderators in a group wich has the abbility to warn, then display the button in a post only where he can erase too.
I know that they can access the link, but it is not a security issue, because moderators are trusted users, this more like an organisational solve.
So please, can somebody who knows php and is familiar with smf do a simple code to put in display.template.php? I know exactly where to put it, but i don't know what to put :))
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

shumilica

Ok, problem solved, for me!
In display.template.php I changed this:

// Can we issue a warning because of this post?  Remember, we can't give guests warnings.
if ($context['can_issue_warning'] && !$message['is_message_author'] && !$message['member']['is_guest'])

to this:

if ($message['can_modify'] && !$message['is_message_author'] && !$message['member']['is_guest'])

This means that anybody who can see the Modify button (and is not the author of the message) can see the warning button.
After that (or before) create a group named whatever you want (i named it moderators), make it invisible (so that if somebody is in that group the name of it will not be shown in profile, posts etc.), and put there every local moderator. And give the permision to this group so that they can issue warnings. That is all.

Attention! this doesn't mean that local moderators can't issue warnings to any user in the forum. They can modify the link and issue warnings to anybody, no matter where they posted.
It is supposed that you trust your moderators not to get involved in something like modifying the link.

I hope this helps somebody
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

Advertisement: