SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public or 1.1.5

Started by forumer, August 06, 2008, 10:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forumer

Hello,

I want to use a smf forum on my website, but i couldn't decide if i can use SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public.

Do you suggest me to use SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public? Does it have a serious bug?

Is there anyone here who is pleased with using SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public on a production site?

I also thought to use SMF 1.1.5 but i encountered with a problem on it. It's too slow on my computer when it's not logged in as administrator.

I will appreciate your help
Thanks

lordtron

I am using both SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public and SMF 1.1.5. The only real problems I have had to far with SMF 2.0 is making a custom theme for it. The problem I have with SMF 1.1.5 is upgrading. But that could just be me thou.

VainSoftGames.com - New Design To Gaming

aldo

I like SMF 2.0 a LOT, and I use it on all my sites, however, if you might be worried about something, I would say wait and use 1.1.5, you can always wait and upgrade.

And yes, I am very pleased with SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 Public, it is awesome, though once again, I just might wait. I know Beta 4 should fix a whole lot of bugs that you may encounter, and I have found a few, though not to major...

So it is your choice from here I suppose :)

Deprecated

I just started my new forum less than three weeks ago, decided to go with 2.0b3.1p. It's worked perfectly other than a very few cosmetic bugs, nothing that had any impact on members having a good forum experience. I believe 2.0b3.1p is ready for prime time!

The negatives about 2.0 are that many themes are not compatible. I believe TinyPortal is also not compatible. However, many of the new mods are appearing for 2.0 only. (Other mods aren't available yet for 2.0)

If you start out with 1.1.5 you will have to convert to 2.0 at some point. You'll have to re-do all your integration. If you start out at 2.0 you will already be there.

I'm glad I'm on 2.0. It has worked perfectly even though I've modded and unmodded the hell out of it. My members haven't even noticed I'm changing the software all the time, testing new mods, configuring the forum... (I do have a second test-only forum for pretesting mods.)

I think you should go with 2.0 unless there's a theme or TinyPortal that you can't wait for them to come out in 2.0 version.

forumer

Thank you very much for your replies
I think I will use smf 2.0

but i also wonder that when the non-beta version of smf 2.0 is released, will i be able to upgrade from beta version to non-beta version?

(Sorry for the word "non-beta"; i think i made it up; It means the version which is not beta  :) )

lordtron

Yeah you should be able to upgrade from Beta to non-Beta with no issues.

VainSoftGames.com - New Design To Gaming

Deprecated

I'm sure that being able to upgrade from 2.0b3.1 to the release 2.0 with no issues is one of the design goals of the development team.

Besides, many seem to be able to upgrade from 1.1.5 to 2.0 with no issues. That's a much bigger upgrade.

Advertisement: