Started by vbgamer45, July 13, 2008, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Link to the mod

[glow=black,2,300]Limit a Guest Daily Page Views[/glow]
Developed by 4kstore for SMFSimple.com
Created by Karl Benson
SMF 1.1.X AND 2.0.1

[glow=black,2,300]El soporte oficial de los desarrolladores de nuestros mods lo encontraras en SMFSimple.com[/glow]

[glow=black,2,300]Description:[/glow]
Limit a guests daily pageviews mod. Once they reach the limit they are invited to register or login.

[glow=black,2,300]Descripcion:[/glow]
Limita a los visitantes a ver cierta cantidad de paginas por dia, una vez superado el limite se los invita a ingresar o registrarse

[glow=black,2,300]Features:[/glow]
  • Configuration: Admin Panel -> Features & Options
  • On exceeding the limit, guests are invited to login or register.
  • You can select between limit only topics or limit all pages not vital.
  • The index never is limited.

[glow=black,2,300]Caracteristicas:[/glow]
  • Configuracion: Admin Panel -> Features & Options
  • Cuando se supera el limite, los visitantes son invitados a ingresar o registrarse
  • Se puede seleccionar entre limitar solo los temas o todas las paginas (las que no son vitales)
  • La pagina principal nunca es limitada

[glow=black,2,300]Screenshots | Imagenes[/glow]

Language Support | Lenguajes Soportados

English & English British (by Karl Benson)
Portuguese pt (by candidosa2 & joomlamz)
Portuguese brazilian (by candidosa2 & joomlamz)
Danish (by Fallen Angel)
Turkish (by ?T?K?? & by reel)
Spanish (by 4kstore)

Note: Spiders/bots are not treated ANY differently by this mod than human guests. Excluding Spiders from being affected by this mod is likely to be against Google & other search engines terms of service. (Would likely be seen as Black Hat SEO (cloaking)). Therefore spiders CANNOT have a higher limit nor be excluded from the limit.

[glow=black,2,300]Limit a Guest Daily Page Views[/glow]

[glow=black,2,300]Copyright 2011 | SMFSimple.com[/glow]

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

4b11l

Great mod again.

Is there any problem with limiting spiders/bots? Sorry, somewhat new to that aspect.

samurai-lupin

Hello, I think this is a great mod but I've had the same thoughts. How about Spiders and Bots? Thanks

4b11l

Quote from: evil-angelist on July 14, 2008, 12:26:10 AM
I will be adding this later, thanks and fingers crossed it goes in smoothly. For those questioning the spiders and bots I guess you can set the page view limit to whatever amount of views you are happy with a day to have them access the site.

I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but hopefully in an update in the future there is a way to exclude them? I'm not sure doesn't google use bots to scan your site and will limiting it hinder how google ranks your page and what not?

Sudhakar Arjunan

Hi Mr.karlbenson,

This Mod is simply superb.
Thanks for this excellent Mod.

I have installed without any error - but skipped only 3 language files.

I have tried it and its working fine.
Came here to Thank you for this mod.

I too have some queries particulars to this mod.

1) Separate Guest and Bots - Becuase all hi end bots like Google ,yahoo and msn are using only same set of Ip addresses.
So let the spider visit n number of times.

2) I hope for each guest it stores the ip, and  tracked each time.
So will this take the bandwidth of MySql to high.

Once Again, Thank you for this Excellent Mod this morning.  :)
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

edi67

CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

karlbenson

Important Note: Spiders/bots are not treated ANY differently by this mod than human guests.

Anything a spider can see a guest must be able to see.  Excluding Spiders from being affected by this mod is likely to be against Google & other search engines terms of service. (Would likely be seen as black hat).
Therefore spiders CANNOT have a higher limit, be excluded from the limit.

If you got caught employing such black hat techniques you are likely to be sandboxed (permanently or temporarily banned from the search engines)

Therefore I will NEVER be adding functionality to differentiate with spiders as it amounts to cheating search engines. (Trying to force guests to register, while still giving spiders increased or full rein)

Limiting spiders IS likely to have an impact on search engines as they will only be able to index a very small no. of pages per day.

karlbenson

Re tracking.
It is solely done based on SMF sessions.

ekfaysal

i want this mod for smf 2 beta 3
please update it
thanks

jossanaijr

4b11l

Quote from: karlbenson on July 14, 2008, 08:19:52 AM
Important Note: Spiders/bots are not treated ANY differently by this mod than human guests.

Anything a spider can see a guest must be able to see.  Excluding Spiders from being affected by this mod is likely to be against Google & other search engines terms of service. (Would likely be seen as black hat).
Therefore spiders CANNOT have a higher limit, be excluded from the limit.

If you got caught employing such black hat techniques you are likely to be sandboxed (permanently or temporarily banned from the search engines)

Therefore I will NEVER be adding functionality to differentiate with spiders as it amounts to cheating search engines. (Trying to force guests to register, while still giving spiders increased or full rein)

Limiting spiders IS likely to have an impact on search engines as they will only be able to index a very small no. of pages per day.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation Karl.

ArkServer

Quote from: 4b11l on July 14, 2008, 12:38:28 AM
Quote from: evil-angelist on July 14, 2008, 12:26:10 AM
I will be adding this later, thanks and fingers crossed it goes in smoothly. For those questioning the spiders and bots I guess you can set the page view limit to whatever amount of views you are happy with a day to have them access the site.

I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but hopefully in an update in the future there is a way to exclude them? I'm not sure doesn't google use bots to scan your site and will limiting it hinder how google ranks your page and what not?

It's not a very hard thing to do but since this isn't a mod of mine(heck i haven't submitted any smf mods i've made) i'll keep my mouth shut. But if you know a bit php you would know how to exclude it and modify the code accordingly.

That said, great mod.

karlbenson

Indeed, bit like i said, its not worth it.
Google and other search engines do attempt to detect these sorts of black hat tricks.

And if you get caught, being banned from google could be the death of most sites.

Lum-chan

What would be a fail amount of 'free' views to set initially? I have it for test at 50 pageviews but I'm thinking of lowering it to 25 pageviews...
Lum-chan

ashsimmonds

Awesome - exactly what I was asking for just last month: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=244739.0  ;D

As I mentioned in there, I'm sure I saw somewhere that you can provide Googlebot with an authenticated account in order to spider your site - worth looking into.

Edit: I think it might be only for adsense related stuff, not sure yet.
High Steaks - meat is life

ashsimmonds

Hi Karl - I've made one minor change to my code which I think is more useful, at least to me.

Basically, I want it so that the user can do anything they want around the whole forum - *except* read the actual threads, so they can still see all the lists of threads and everything, but when they attempt to read if the system says they've seen enough today then it asks them to login.

In "index.php" - change:

if (empty($_REQUEST['action']) || !in_array(strtolower($_REQUEST['action']), $temp) )

To:

if (!empty($context['current_topic']) )

8)

ashsimmonds

I've got some more ideas which I'd like to take a shot at too, just to make it a bit more versatile for various types of forums.

1) instead of blocking ALL requests, just every Xth pageview, so the user can still access the content, but it becomes easier to just login than lurk

2) change the session length from 1 day to say 20 minutes and set the limit to like 5 pageviews.  This will enable spiders to keep coming back throughout the day, but the people who want to keep lurking still can, for 5 clicks and then have to come back later.  Eg, I don't care about the people who just come in via google only to read one or two pages, I'm happy for them to get what they want and leave, I would like the people who sit there and read dozens of threads to actually login and get involved.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: ashsimmonds on July 14, 2008, 11:53:18 PM
I've got some more ideas which I'd like to take a shot at too, just to make it a bit more versatile for various types of forums.

1) instead of blocking ALL requests, just every Xth pageview, so the user can still access the content, but it becomes easier to just login than lurk

2) change the session length from 1 day to say 20 minutes and set the limit to like 5 pageviews.  This will enable spiders to keep coming back throughout the day, but the people who want to keep lurking still can, for 5 clicks and then have to come back later.  Eg, I don't care about the people who just come in via google only to read one or two pages, I'm happy for them to get what they want and leave, I would like the people who sit there and read dozens of threads to actually login and get involved.

You Comment or really great.
We dont want people comes in once and go our reading one thread from google.
We want people sit and read dozens and dozens of thread.

Your idea's are really excellent Ashsimmonds.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Fallen Angel

Thats a wicked mod my friend!  ;)

Here is the danish translations;

Advertisement: