News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Limit A Guests Daily PageViews

Started by vbgamer45, July 13, 2008, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Quote from: aw06 on May 10, 2012, 01:39:34 AM
With the Mod on ... 20+ Registrations per day..
Mod Off .. 9+

I'll Remove it soon enough..

I see, I guess the stats speak for them self, but keep in mind that your website attracts more of a buy/sell community. Usually, those members are coming for one thing - buying and/or selling. So it's best to keep it open for the world, as opposed to restricting involvement.

TheListener

Mod Off .. 9+

Also take into account unless you have antispam measures installed then some of these may be spammers.

aw06

Quote from: Old Fossil on May 10, 2012, 06:17:03 PM
Mod Off .. 9+

Also take into account unless you have antispam measures installed then some of these may be spammers.

Have lots of Antispam installed.. it get 0 bots .. only a few human spammers now and again
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Jade Elizabeth

Does this block spiders too? Is there a way to not block spiders?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Arantor

It will block spiders too, yes.

And just for fun, behaving visibly differently for guests as opposed to spiders can earn you a ban from some of them...

Jade Elizabeth

Oh yeah. Well that's crap then lol.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

ocmdiaz714

How can I remove the info from the <title> ?

lean

Sorry, SSimple Team not supported in English language at the moment.
In SMFSimple.com We are looking for partners with this language to provide better support to all.
Thanks for understanding.

Realinfo

sir

I want a option that enables this mod when I have more than particular number of guests in my forum online, Say it gets enable when I have more than 250 guests and when number of guests get less than 250 then again it gets disable............... I need this option and i know it's possible if any one will help me................ Please help................

BGH

I have a question on this one.

Is there any negative effect on Search engines by limiting guests to daily page views? By negative, I ONLY mean to get your site banned because of this, considering that you treat spiders the same way as guests (= without blocking spiders).

Sorry if it's a simple question, but I wanted it to know before installing this mod.

hawkman

I installed this on my 2.0.2 SMF and in the configuration window where I setup the number of page views it did not even label the field.  It just gave me a an unexplained blank where I could put a number. 

When I went to my forum as a guest it did not display how many page views I had or that they were limited.  It looked just like the mod was not installed until I exceeded the page views then I got an error message locking me out every time I tried to view more pages.  No warning, no explanation, no invitation to register.

Any help is appreciated because I would love this mod to work.

Thanks

Hawk
All that is necessary for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

4Kstore

We did a new version using hooks and IP for limit control.

Limit Page View For Guest
Developed by 4kstorefor SMFSimple.com
SMF 2.0.4

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-sJPHzSjDQ#ws

Description:
With this mod you can limit your visitors to see x amount of pages before it comes out a sign that says they can no longer looking without logging in seguis or register. You can also make this happen just by looking topics, I mean, that visitors can navigate around the forum but when you see a topic deducted 1 page view of your've set. Outside spies!

Features:
You can set the limit amount of pages to see for visitors. (if you leave it to 0 will be disabled)
You can choose only the topics are the limits that you set.
The mod has a scheduled job to do the count per day (default). You can program it as you like.
This mod was programmed to not affect the search engine robots.
It has much of the code in hooks.
The bar disappears clickearla notice to fade out.

Screenshots | Imagenes

If someone want try it: http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=180

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

TheListener

Surely a link to the first post would be easier?

::)

4Kstore

Quote from: Old Fossil on June 30, 2013, 08:42:39 PM

I don't want obligate to user to enter to the site if they are not interested... I think this way is better but you're the boss if you want I can change it

TheListener

Quote from: 4Kstore on June 30, 2013, 08:51:02 PM
Quote from: Old Fossil on June 30, 2013, 08:42:39 PM

I don't want obligate to user to enter to the site if they are not interested... I think this way is better but you're the boss if you want I can change it

What I am saying is why the image? Just a link to the first post is enough.

4Kstore

Because is a different version of this mod with new features and desing, I am showing the features with a description and screenshots

pugsx

Hi does this mod have the option to allow the guest to continue viewing after it prompts to login or sign up?

I want to give the user a reminder after viewing 5 pages say but allow them to continue even if they don't wish to sign up.

4Kstore

Quote from: pugsx on July 03, 2013, 09:05:26 AM
Hi does this mod have the option to allow the guest to continue viewing after it prompts to login or sign up?

I want to give the user a reminder after viewing 5 pages say but allow them to continue even if they don't wish to sign up.

No, this mod wasn't developed to do that ..

Realinfo

Quote from: ashsimmonds on July 14, 2008, 11:53:18 PM
I've got some more ideas which I'd like to take a shot at too, just to make it a bit more versatile for various types of forums.

1) instead of blocking ALL requests, just every Xth pageview, so the user can still access the content, but it becomes easier to just login than lurk

2) change the session length from 1 day to say 20 minutes and set the limit to like 5 pageviews.  This will enable spiders to keep coming back throughout the day, but the people who want to keep lurking still can, for 5 clicks and then have to come back later.  Eg, I don't care about the people who just come in via google only to read one or two pages, I'm happy for them to get what they want and leave, I would like the people who sit there and read dozens of threads to actually login and get involved.

Is it possible yet or not?

4Kstore

We update this mod just a few weeks ago.
Spiders and are not affected by the mod and no longer used session for checking the limit, now we use user ip
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=249533.msg3569404#msg3569404

Advertisement: