News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Limit A Guests Daily PageViews

Started by vbgamer45, July 13, 2008, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlbenson

What limit have you set? How many pages? eg 10

Not being able to view topics is a feature of the View Boards Only mod by Rudolf.

Also note, I notice that you are using an insecure SMF Shoutbox.  That mod was removed from the modsite due to several vulnerabilities. [there is no fixed version available] it would therefore be recommended to uninstall it asap.

ousu

Limit guests to x page views per day  ===3

Show the message index for "view only" boards    ===check marked

ousu

Is there any specific issue with this shotbox???

Should  I uninstall this??

karlbenson

There is a vulnerability/exploit in SMF Shoutbox 1.16b.
The mod has been removed from the mod site as a result by the mod author. And there isn't a fixed version available.

It is recommended to uninstall it and use a different shoutbox instead.

ousu

what about this Limit guests to x page views per day mod??

how can i give a limit number of pages to my guests to access with out registration???

karlbenson

I'd recommend doublechecking that the edit was made to index.php
that is the main index.php where smf is.

Just after
loadPermissions();
you should see lines starting

// Start of Limit A Guests Daily PageViews Mod

ousu

karlbenson

the bits are definately there.
I can't see why its not working.

Are there any errors in your SMF error log?

ousu

No errors in error log.

When I set the limit to 5 pages,
it is displaying more 4 page views remaining  today.
after browsing somany times also it is displaying the same message.
it is not asking to register any more......

karlbenson

It looks to me like for some reason your server isn't saving/detecting the existing session.

tertunc

karlbenson

avf

Hello,
I installed the mod on my forum 1.5 and i observed 1000s of errors in the log. As a guest i do not see any issues while browsing but the log shows these errors.

I want to uninstall the mod which i have but it still seems to be functioning and in the browser i can see the countdown but no message.

How can i fully uninstall the same. I think i need to still modify the index file to remove the remain code.
Pls advice
AVF

karlbenson

Are you using a support language?

english/english-utf8
or
english_british/english_british-utf8

avf

karlbenson

Then you need to copy the language strings from the file, to your language files equivalent

so copy those intended for
Themes/default/languages/modifications.english.php
to
Themes/default/languages/modifications.{yourlanguage}.php
(and translate if necessary)

avf

i wish to uninstall the mod and the language installation is the deafult one that comes with standard installation. I do not wish to get into this mod and advice others alos to check if they are getting erros in this mod.

karlbenson

If the automated uninstall didn't work, the only solution is to manually remove the edits
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=parse;mod=1290;attach=60734;smf_version=1.1.5

Usually the reason the uninstalling of a mod fails is due to chmod permission/chown issues.
The mod normally doesn't produce ANY errors.  The reason why your getting the errors is that the language strings that were supposed to be added by the mod are missing.

Dr Web

I just want to talk about my experience with this MOD, I installed it about a week ago, and just in 3 days, my forum passed from 1190 pages indexed by google to 334, I uninstalled it 3 days ago, and my forum has 979 pages indexed by google at this precise moment.

This is a good MOD to force the people to register on your forum, but, you will lose about 90% of your search engines traffic.

Take care.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction ;D

Log On

Karl, great mod, serves my needs. But since I installed your mod I get a daily overhead in my sessions table of about 5MB, I'm currently optimizing the table twice a day. Yes, I do have a considerable amount of guests checking out the forum. Any input? Any ideas to make it go away?

Advertisement: