News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Limit A Guests Daily PageViews

Started by vbgamer45, July 13, 2008, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlbenson

I don't really know what I could suggest, extra maybe setting up cron to keep optimizing the sessions table.
You have an extra no of guests so the sessions should build up quite a bit.

Log On

Quote from: karlbenson on August 17, 2008, 04:02:23 PM
I don't really know what I could suggest, extra maybe setting up cron to keep optimizing the sessions table.
You have an extra no of guests so the sessions should build up quite a bit.

Yes indeed they do. Thanx I'll keep an eye on things and a con job is indeed a solution. Thanx again for a great mod.

дTдKдИ

Thanks Nice Mod.  ;)

Here is the turkish translations;

AlphaHot1

Quote from: karlbenson on July 14, 2008, 08:19:52 AM
Important Note: Spiders/bots are not treated ANY differently by this mod than human guests.

Anything a spider can see a guest must be able to see.  Excluding Spiders from being affected by this mod is likely to be against Google & other search engines terms of service. (Would likely be seen as black hat).
Therefore spiders CANNOT have a higher limit, be excluded from the limit.

If you got caught employing such black hat techniques you are likely to be sandboxed (permanently or temporarily banned from the search engines)

Therefore I will NEVER be adding functionality to differentiate with spiders as it amounts to cheating search engines. (Trying to force guests to register, while still giving spiders increased or full rein)

Limiting spiders IS likely to have an impact on search engines as they will only be able to index a very small no. of pages per day.
I don't think it will be flagged as black hat (Adsense let you provide a login fo google crawler just to read members only are of your site, I know it's different from indexing tho), but still it wouldn't make such sense because a guest could search google and find cached copies of your members-only pages.
Wait, this will happen anyway, especially if you uploaded a sitemap. It just will take more time...

karlbenson

It is allowed for Adsense via the 'Login/Password' method only.
But definitately not for indexing. They are very different things.

AlphaHot1

I am interested in this mod. What I would like to see is some real world example i.e. what is going to be indexed by search engines? At best it would take a LOT of time to crawl the whole site. At worst it will never be indexed copletely. Am I wrong?

karlbenson

Search engines will never index your site anyway.

Depending on what limit you set, it will likely limit search engines to only a fraction of what they would have other wise indexed.

For example, on my forum, google eats about 3000 page views per day.
Limiting it to 10 per day is effectively limiting google to 1/300th of the pages that it would other-wise have indexed.
(although in practice, search engines will use multiple ips/sessions will timeout).
So google might index 100+ a day.  Thats still 1/30th of what it would have otherwise.

If you want SEO for your forum, then your forum needs to be completely open for guests.

This method is sort of inbetween having full open access and no access.

AlphaHot1

Understood. Very insightful answer, thank you.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: karlbenson on September 17, 2008, 07:47:07 PM
Search engines will never index your site anyway.

Depending on what limit you set, it will likely limit search engines to only a fraction of what they would have other wise indexed.

For example, on my forum, google eats about 3000 page views per day.
Limiting it to 10 per day is effectively limiting google to 1/300th of the pages that it would other-wise have indexed.
(although in practice, search engines will use multiple ips/sessions will timeout).
So google might index 100+ a day.  Thats still 1/30th of what it would have otherwise.

If you want SEO for your forum, then your forum needs to be completely open for guests.

This method is sort of inbetween having full open access and no access.

Thanks for this useful information karlbenson.

I have got very good rank till 16 thousand in alexa as well we got our dual core dedicated server down for many hours in a day.

I am going to use your mod which i have installed and tested earlier time of release.

You are a great geek to get a very useful for my big community webportal.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Sakae

Karl, I think your mod has a tiny problem that I would like to warn you about.

When I see USERS ONLINE, there's no message* about those which can't see pages (because they passed the number of pageviews allowed). I mean, that should be something on Who.template.php, shouldn't?

I don't know, what do you think?

* Actually, there's a message: "Unknown action"
http://www.tigrelog.com.br
l: simple p: machines

sbt

Question please?

Got this mod installed by editing all the files, but not for british ssince the forum is only english files.
Anyhow, in admin, the option is there but it is blank.

When the question mark was selected, there is the description of what the option is.

Is there any way to correct this, so the text is there in admin please?

Did logout and refreshed twice as guest. It is working because the message appears that they have the maximum views of 2 a day and please register or login.

Thank You so much for this mod.

.LORD.

Hi

This MOD have been updated.

Now work fine in SMF 1.1.X and SMF 2.  :)

More info in the changelog.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Thanks for the update .LORD.

Will install it . Thanks for your time to update it.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

hash899

I had a question about ur limit a guests daily pageviews mod. I love this mod but is there a way to stop it from limited the news displayed on tiny portal? I have it on my website here http://ieatsoul.com and in the middle column where all the news is. it displays the exceeded the limit box instead of the news when the guest reached his limits.

Can u tell me anyway I can stop it from doing that on tinyportal?

I really appreciate the help.

.LORD.

Quote from: A.SK on May 02, 2009, 03:32:49 PM
Thanks for the update .LORD.

Will install it . Thanks for your time to update it.

Your welcome :D

Quote from: hash899 on May 03, 2009, 03:07:59 PM
I had a question about ur limit a guests daily pageviews mod. I love this mod but is there a way to stop it from limited the news displayed on tiny portal? I have it on my website here http://ieatsoul.com and in the middle column where all the news is. it displays the exceeded the limit box instead of the news when the guest reached his limits.

Can u tell me anyway I can stop it from doing that on tinyportal?

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks for comment :D

You can try edit the Sources/Load.php

Code (Search) Select
if (empty($_REQUEST['action']) || !in_array(strtolower($_REQUEST['action']), $temp))

Code (Replace) Select
if (!in_array(strtolower($_REQUEST['action']), $temp))

And tell me.

Currently, the MOD count & block all pages, except those allowed (eg the page to register, to login, etc).

I can change for count & block only the pages indicated (eg post and topics and the message index) and allow the rest.

The second way would avoid problems like the previous one.

How do you prefer?

candidosa2

when update
dont forget portuguese

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.portuguese_pt.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<search position="end" />
<add><![CDATA[
$txt['limited_views_remaining_singular'] = ' P&aacute;gina remanescente vista hoje';
$txt['limited_views_remaining_plural'] = ' P&aacute;ginas remanescente vistas hoje';
$txt['limited_views'] = 'Limite para visitante x P&aacute;gina vista por dia<div class="smalltext">0 para desativar</div>';
$txt['limited_views_message'] = 'Todos os visitantes est&atilde;o limitados a %s p&aacute;gina vista por dia.<br /> N&oacute;s agora convidamos você a <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=login">entrar</a> or <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=register">registar</a> para continuar acessando o f&oacute;rum.';
$txt['limited_views_title'] = 'Por favor entrar ou Registar-se';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>
<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.portuguese_pt-utf8.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[
$txt['limited_views_remaining_singular'] = ' P&aacute;gina remanescente vista hoje';
$txt['limited_views_remaining_plural'] = ' P&aacute;ginas remanescente vistas hoje';
$txt['limited_views'] = 'Limite para visitante x P&aacute;gina vista por dia<div class="smalltext">0 para desativar</div>';
$txt['limited_views_message'] = 'Todos os visitantes est&atilde;o limitados a %s p&aacute;gina vista por dia.<br /> N&oacute;s agora convidamos você a <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=login">entrar</a> or <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=register">registar</a> para continuar acessando o f&oacute;rum.';
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>
<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.portuguese_brazilian.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>
<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.portuguese_brazilian-utf8.php" error="skip">
<operation>
<add><![CDATA[
]]></add>
</operation>
</file>

.LORD.

Quote from: candidosa2 on May 10, 2009, 01:40:03 AM
when update
dont forget portuguese

Sure, many thanks :D

Edit: you forgot the Help.languaje.php :P No problem, i have found it

dr.wills

;D  This will limit the bot's views per day?  ??? I wonder
http://movies-on-mediafire.com

Never dying collection of high definition mediafire movies link

.LORD.

Quote from: akaiphan on May 17, 2009, 06:41:05 PM

Yes, the bots guest and human guest, are equally limited.

Otherwise, the search engines can penalize
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66355

Mystery?

Quote from: .LORD. on May 17, 2009, 07:05:45 PM
Quote from: akaiphan on May 17, 2009, 06:41:05 PM

Yes, the bots guest and human guest, are equally limited.

Otherwise, the search engines can penalize
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66355

I just want to limit the amount of guest views on each topic.
Join my NEW website that I just created and be a big part of it (July 30, 2010): http://www.gamerstatic.net

Advertisement: