Getting the Most Out of SMF - XML, RSS and RSS2 (and Atom and RDF) feeds

Started by Oldiesmann, January 20, 2005, 12:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socialsearch

i have joined this forum today only i found lot of people like u is there to help and to share such a knowledgeable stuff,. must say thank and keep sharing these things.

Donataz

The default feed in SMF is the 5 most recent posts. Please tell me how i can increase the default feet to 20 most recent post? Thank you very much for answer. I didn't found any soliution on this.

spiros


Donataz

Spiros thank you for fast answer. I must enter link in the browser hxxp:www.domain.com/index.php?type=rss;limit=20;action=.xml [nonactive] or i must change php config file? Thank you very much.

spiros



smartmouse

Hello, i'm using this url http://www.mysite.com/index.php?action=.xml;sa=news;c=1;limit=10;type=rss2 to syndacate recent topics to a web portal from my forum.
I won't that it syndacates duplicate entries for recents topic that have more than one reply. How to set it?

I mean that i want that it syndacate the recent topic one time, not every time there is a new reply.
I'm getting feeds like "New topic", "Re: New topic", "Re: New topic" and so on... instead of "New topic", "2nd new topic", 3rd New topic" and so on...

I hope you figure out what's my matter. Thank you ans sorry for my english.

bildo55

@smartmouse - I would have thought the "news" argument would have done that.




Is there ever going to be a way to get the RSS feed to show only posts from a single user.  I would like to have an RSS feed of the posts of only one administrator

smartmouse

Quote from: bildo55 on December 20, 2011, 08:15:49 PM
@smartmouse - I would have thought the "news" argument would have done that.
It doesn't. Any idea or suggestion on how to do it?


lufcwatson

hi there i need help my rss feeds will not rite in my forums ?

Arantor

Quote from: lufcwatson on January 24, 2012, 06:06:44 AM
hi there i need help my rss feeds will not rite in my forums ?

SMF has no features for posting RSS feeds into the forums itself, you must be using a mod to do that, in which case find the mod you're using, then go to the 'Support and comments for this mod' page.
Holder of controversial views, all of which my own.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: smartmouse on December 21, 2011, 10:32:15 AM
Quote from: bildo55 on December 20, 2011, 08:15:49 PM
@smartmouse - I would have thought the "news" argument would have done that.
It doesn't. Any idea or suggestion on how to do it?

So you want it to show only the newest post from each of the most recent topics that you can see (basically a reverse of the "news" option)? That can't be done by default, but it shouldn't be hard to modify the code to add that option.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans


adza

Hi,

I run SMF on a number of websites. I'm having a problem on almost all of them where RSS feeds do not show all posts. (They only show ones from certain boards, and not the private / hidden boards).

I'm aware that the private boards will not load in RSS publicly, but on one of my forums, provided I have logged in previously and have a cookie in my browser - the RSS feed in my browser will show me everything - even the private / hidden boards. (Which is what I want).

On all my other boards, even when I log in and have cookies cached, the RSS feeds still only show me the publicly visible boards.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do / change to allow people to view RSS feeds for all the posts / boards that they are entitled to see?

Thanks & Regards

Adza

Chalky

I have just read every post from page 1 to page 23 of this topic and have decided that either I'm thick or this hasn't been answered yet  :-\

I want to configure my RSS feed to display the most recent posts, but only one per topic.  I suppose I could also describe what I want as the most recently updated topics.  Please is this possible and how do I do it?  sa=recent shows the most recent posts even if they are all from the same topic,  and sa=news shows the most recently started topics but with no regard to their update order.  Please advise, thanks  :)

thisisgil

Quote from: adza on February 21, 2012, 05:11:38 PM
Hi,

I run SMF on a number of websites. I'm having a problem on almost all of them where RSS feeds do not show all posts. (They only show ones from certain boards, and not the private / hidden boards).

I'm aware that the private boards will not load in RSS publicly,

Is there a workaround for this?

I have a development project and we use both forums and irc. The forums are hidden if you're not logged in, but I have an irc bot that I would like to announce to the channel when a new forum post is made. This is easy via RSS, however, the RSS feed will not show anything as the bot is not "logged in".

Can anyone think of a way I can store a user / pass in the RSS feed URL, or even store a cookie so a bot on a remote shell can at least pull a list of all recent forum posts?

Thanks!

jennyc

Hello,

I would like to set the forum up so that it posts the RSS feeds straight to twitter/facebook is this at all possible? If so, where do I look?

Glasso

Quote from: Sabrinova on February 29, 2012, 02:32:40 PM
I have just read every post from page 1 to page 23 of this topic and have decided that either I'm thick or this hasn't been answered yet  :-\

I want to configure my RSS feed to display the most recent posts, but only one per topic.  I suppose I could also describe what I want as the most recently updated topics.  Please is this possible and how do I do it?  sa=recent shows the most recent posts even if they are all from the same topic,  and sa=news shows the most recently started topics but with no regard to their update order.  Please advise, thanks  :)

Anyone figured this one?

Arantor

The RSS protocol doesn't really work that way and it will produce unreliable results if that is done.
Holder of controversial views, all of which my own.

Advertisement: