News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

2.x beta upgradable to final 2.x?

Started by phor, July 16, 2008, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phor

hi there,

i know that it's not recommended to use 2.x beta productively but will there be an update from the beta (3.1) to 2.x final?

shadow82x

Yes there will be an upgrader to do that.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Rumbaar

Yes I'm sure there will be, but there might not be a 100% transfer from BETA to 'gold' version with all settings and features.

I still wouldn't put into use on a full live site yet, if you are in doubt or unsure.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

phor

thx for your answers.

So rather update 1.x to 2.x final?

Rumbaar

Unless you have a specific need for the extra functionality of 2.x at the moment, then I personally would wait to upgrade to 2.x final.  It is called a BETA release for a reason :)
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Akyhne

As being a translator, I would like to know how far from now the final 2.0  will be released.

Rumbaar

Well for the language string side of things I'm sure there will be no major changes, only additions if at all.  But I'm sure Daniel D. would be the best one to take that up with :)

[ Themes ]

Akyhne

There's a lot to translate, and I'm really just interesting in a release date. A month? A ½ year?

greyknight17

There is no set release date. This never works out as planned, so it will be out when it comes out. The same applied to all the previous final versions. When the developers think it's ready, they will try to give some notice when the right time comes.

Akyhne

Ok. I'm not looking for a release date, just a hint on how much time I have left. As I wrote, 1 month, ½ year or..

Rumbaar

Time to finish your translation, I'm sure you have a decent amount of time.  If you do it ASAP it will benefit a lot of people, and like I said I'm sure the majority of strings wont change between now and then. So the work will not be for nothing.

[ Themes ]

Akyhne

Quote from: Rumbaar on July 21, 2008, 06:08:03 AM
Time to finish your translation, I'm sure you have a decent amount of time.  If you do it ASAP it will benefit a lot of people, and like I said I'm sure the majority of strings wont change between now and then. So the work will not be for nothing.

Hmm, no I spend 3 months doing a complete translation of 1.1.4 from January to march. It's still not downloadable! I'm not even sure I want to continue translation, bout if I did I'd like to know the deadline - just in months.

Rumbaar

Was that a Danish translation?  I'm not sure what you mean, as there is a 1.1.x and 2.x language pack for that language in the download section?

I know doing all that work and not having it show wouldn't be an incentive to continue.  If you give me some more info I'll try to follow it up a little more and see what's going on.

[ Themes ]

Akyhne

Quote from: Rumbaar on July 21, 2008, 06:19:41 AM
Was that a Danish translation?  I'm not sure what you mean, as there is a 1.1.x and 2.x language pack for that language in the download section?

I know doing all that work and not having it show wouldn't be an incentive to continue.  If you give me some more info I'll try to follow it up a little more and see what's going on.

PM'd You. It's old files available in the download section. Not my translation.

Advertisement: