News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

BBCode issue after converting phpBB2.0.22 to SMF1.1.5

Started by SeKa, July 20, 2008, 04:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeKa

Hi all,

after converting of phpBB 2..0.22 to of SMF, 1.1.15,  in many messages bbcode tags are not considered. In particular messages, in which glow occurs, are  tags indicated and are not implemented. IE6 and FF3 invariably. If I delete and enter the tags again, it works fine. Whereby FF3 shows glow as background colour, and IE6 normally. But I cannot edit 30K message. Can anybody help me out..?

I searched a lot for solution, but did not find a similar Problem topic with a real solution.

Rumbaar

What is the bbcode used in phpBB2 for glow? Compared to SMF bbcode for glow?

Might be able to perform a sql command to change it at the _message table level of your forum, thus saving some time.  As if they were the same it should automatically parse, which if it isn't I'll assume they are different bodies of text.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

SleePy

Yes, knowing what it was in phpBB would help. I wasn't even aware phpbb2 had a glow tag.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

SeKa

It´s the same i think!

phpBB2: [ glow=red ][ /glow ]

SMF: [ glow=red,2,300 ][ /glow ]

",2,300" part is the difference, and i don´t know what it means.
But its not only the glow tag, some posting text without glow has the same issue. Just only posting text, nothing wrong in PMs or anything else 

Rumbaar

The current bbcode requires that information:
QuoteThe three attributes (eg red, 2, 50) in the 'glow' tag are color, strength and width respectively.

It might be an extra process of adding some default attributes to those codes when it's converting.  Now that would be the realm of Sleepy at the moment.  I'm not sure if possible in the conversion process.

Now for your problem you might be able to run this SQL command to update the text yourself.  Now depending on the size of the forum and your message I'm not sure how this will affect your mySQL server.
UPDATE smf_messages SET BODY = replace( BODY, '[glow=red]', '[glow=red,2,300]' )
Make sure the prefix is correct and you're in your phpMyAdmin and have the applicable db selected.  But you'll need to do it for all the colors you might have in your posted text.  This is for 'red'.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

SeKa

Hi  Rumbaar,

i will try this, thanks for the infos!

However annoyance also already catches here. Many colors are indicated by number in my old board. Therefore all Web colors were used. Those are few more than the usual in bbcode. I don´t have any idea, how i should fix.  :(

ThorstenE

how is the format of that in phpBB? SMF is also able to use all web-colors:

Example:
[color=#4656FF]Test[/color]
Test

SeKa

Your Example is same, thats the code. Or color by name. Thats differnet by the poster, that can choice one of this properties. But Rumbaar wrote this must be done for each color. So, i´m thinking about manual replacing in each needed posting.

But the point is, there is many other tags indicated and are not implemented. Without a glow in the text. I think it have be a another issue - needed another solution, right?

SleePy

What does it look like in the database?
It is possible the [ and ] are in their html entities and thus not being phrased right.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Rumbaar

Yes in my coding I assumed it was being stored in the database, in this case for a red glow, as [glow=red].

[ Themes ]

SeKa

Ok, here we go!

Quote[align=center][size=24px][glow=red][color=white][i][b] text text text text text text text text[/size][/b][/i][/color][/glow]
<br />
<br />[size=18px][i][b][glow=red][color=white]text text text text text text text
<br />text text text text text text text [/color][/glow][/b][/i][/size]
<br />
<br />[glow=gray][color=red][size=24px][b][i]text text text text text text text [/i][/b][/size][/color][/glow]
<br />

<br />[size=18px][i][b][glow=red][color=white]text text text [/color][/glow][/b][/i][/size]
<br />

This a part of a crap text, copied from database body. And now same as real text here:
(copy & paste)

[align=center][glow=red] text text text text text text text text[/b][/i][/color][/glow]
<br />
<br />[glow=red]text text text text text text text
<br />text text text text text text text
[/glow]

<br />
<br />[glow=gray]text text text text text text text [/glow]
<br />

<br />[glow=red]text text text [/glow]
<br />

Now i understand less then i began with this stuff... :o

Rumbaar

Did you have custom bbcode in your phpBB forum?

Now the SQL code I posted should fix all the appropriate glow tags, just do it for red, gray, etc.  We can even write one to change align=center to just center to fix that issue.

Now the other issues are the <br /> tags, not sure how they go into your posted content in the first place or rendered like that after conversion.  Also order of bbcode in the first line of text is the issue and I'm surprised it worked in the first place.  As you are closing the SIZE tag before you've closed the B, I, COLOR and GLOW tags thus messing up the bbcode parsing.  Once you move the SIZE to the outside of those tags it works fine.

Now how to solve this on a forum wide scale, here's hoping Sleepy can help :)

[ Themes ]

SeKa

I added only the table and tab bbcode couple months ago. But nothing was wrong, in my phpBB Forum is also still everything ok. It is also a "close open tags" function implemented.

After your reference I was curious and examined the old forum. In the original data base the same text is located as follows in body:

Quote[align=center:3fb5060b3a][size=24:3fb5060b3a][glow=red:3fb5060b3a][color=white:3fb5060b3a][i:3fb5060b3a][b:3fb5060b3a] text text text text[/size:3fb5060b3a][/b:3fb5060b3a][/i:3fb5060b3a][/color:3fb5060b3a][/glow:3fb5060b3a]

[size=18:3fb5060b3a][i:3fb5060b3a][b:3fb5060b3a][glow=red:3fb5060b3a][color=white:3fb5060b3a]text text text text[/color:3fb5060b3a][/glow:3fb5060b3a][/b:3fb5060b3a][/i:3fb5060b3a][/size:3fb5060b3a]

[glow=gray:3fb5060b3a][color=red:3fb5060b3a][size=24:3fb5060b3a][b:3fb5060b3a][i:3fb5060b3a]text text text text[/i:3fb5060b3a][/b:3fb5060b3a][/size:3fb5060b3a][/color:3fb5060b3a][/glow:3fb5060b3a]

[size=18:3fb5060b3a][i:3fb5060b3a][b:3fb5060b3a][glow=red:3fb5060b3a][color=white:3fb5060b3a]text text text text[/color:3fb5060b3a][/glow:3fb5060b3a][/b:3fb5060b3a][/i:3fb5060b3a][/size:3fb5060b3a]

This is the same as above, as you see - no <br> code! Now i wrote in my first theme, that the version of my phpBB board is a heavly modded one. But i don´t know,  in which in which relationship it stands with the remaining forum code.

So your SQL proposal maybe fixing glow tag, but I believe we must consider other possibilities. Let us wait for Sleepy and hope the best.  ;)

SleePy

The <br> should be phrased by SMF as being pure html and just pass it out.

I would assume why the bbc is not working is most likely due to the combination of illegal bbc.
If I strip out the identifiers phpbb has. I get this:

[align=center][size=24][glow=red] text text text text[/glow][/size]

[size=18][glow=red]text text text text[/glow][/size]

[glow=gray][size=24]text text text text[/size][/glow]

[size=18][glow=red]text text text text[/glow][/size]

It needs to be like this:

text text text text

text text text text

text text text text

text text text text

The size tags need a pt on them (as SMF bbc allows using pt, and a few others. the align=center needs to just be center. The glow needs to specify some variables.

SeKa

That is all correctly, functioned also. But I cannot work on the whole forum manually.

I will try according to the method of rumbaar, if no other solution is in view. Most should be corrected then.

A question still. Character size and character font are not as functional in version 1.1.5 as here. Is there a recommended mod to implement functioning solution as here?

SeKa

The most bbc i could fix now. Center, align, glow and size are done.

Only shadow didn´t work. Also here in SMF Forum, no effect. I don´t know why. Any Idea?

Rumbaar

What is the code for shadow in the text?([shadow=red,left][/shadow] )  You need to alter it to meet the SMF standards.

[ Themes ]

SeKa

The code is as yours Rumbaar.

I didn´t understand why it also not works here  - This should be shadowed -

I do not see any effect, you?

Rumbaar

Ah, I see what you mean.  That is because they style text-shadow isn't support in most browsers yet :)  Did it work on your old forum and browser?

Some reference material for you :)
http://webdesign.about.com/od/styleproperties/p/blsptextshadow.htm
http://www.htmlref.com/reference/appb/css_text-shadow.htm
http://kilianvalkhof.com/2008/design/almost-cross-browser-text-shadow/

[ Themes ]

SeKa

Thanks one more for Info Rumbaar.

In my phpBB Forum it works still. As shadow with IE and Backgroundcolor with FF.
That was the same with the convertion to SMF. SMF is now on its own Database without the phpBB tables since yesterday. And no shadow is to see. Not with IE or FF.

How will that continue? Do I have to remove all shadow codes? i can´t believe this, that is not encouraging   ::)

Rumbaar

Strange can you look at the source page for a topic in your phpBB forum and see how it's rendering the shadow text, ie what style it's using?

You shouldn't have to remove it, it will work on Safari I think ;)  But we'll see how it's working in your phpBB and see if can replicate it.  Does it work with FF on your phpBB forum for shadow?

[ Themes ]

SeKa

:D My phpBB Forum is working with all the bbcode that is implemented, and this is one more - highlight(is setting a Backgroundcolor as known glow code with FF)

The best way to this Forum is IE, i´m using IE6. with FF you have no chance yet, bacouse my hoster is crashing the template, and i will change the hoster. I hope also from phpBB to SMF. Have look if you like: www.orcl.de - only IE...
Scroll down to the topics in the middle row after the pics you see at the buttom "ORCL-Team" with shadow and above glow. By the way we can combine also all codes.  8)

I did not understand that all, which sense makes it to implement a code and a button therefor, without a function? I am so sad......

Rumbaar

Well as I can't access the contents of the forum, can you check the pages source yourself?

Also I had a little issue understanding some of what you were trying to say, could be a language issue :)

[ Themes ]

ThorstenE

SeKa,
if you prefer german support feel free to PM me or open support call in the german child board.. maybe, it's easier to explain your problems in your language?

SeKa

Hi helping hands...

Most bbcode is now replaced as Rumbaar recommended.
The issue with shadow tag found ThorstenE, he also looking for a fix in case of glow in IE.
Thx also for that, it should be in bugtracker.

I would just say merci for your assistance...

regards
SeKa

Advertisement: