News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2 beta3/4/final themes system

Started by Enc0der, July 22, 2008, 01:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enc0der

Hi,

I am planning on upgrade my SMF 1.1.5 forum to SMF 2 within a couple of months (scheduled with another change on my website).

I was wondering... Is there going to be a difference in the themes engine between these versions (current beta 3, future beta 4, and future 5/6/7...RC1/RC2..Final) ?

I obviously going to make my own theme, to match my current one.
I know there is a big change between SMF1 and SMF2, but should I expect a smooth upgrade between the beta's and the final version of SMF2 ?

If not, then I guess I should wait at least for the next beta before starting to convert/make my theme.. right?

I know that "it will be ready when it will be ready", so I'm not asking about timing, but I guess that beta 4 (already used here) is pretty much around the corner.... ;)
So should I wait with that for a month or so, in your opinion ?

Thanks

karlbenson

The next beta contains MAJOR theme changes in the sense that the html is being re-written entirely to use tables in the proper way (only for tabular data), not for styling.

(if you want an example, look at the source code of this page).

Dannii

The default theme will have big changes, but the themeing engine shouldn't have any major changes AFAIK. Your current theme should work fine, though it may not support any new features that are added.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

H

While the default theme will have big changes this won't cause an issue with your custom theme.

The upgrader will attempt to update your theme so that it is usable. You'll need to add new menu links though for things like the moderation center. If you're keen to do this then you should be able to although I suggest you re-create the theme at a later date based on the new default as this will obviously make it easier to apply mod customisations :).
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Enc0der

Quote from: H on July 22, 2008, 01:51:28 PM
I suggest you re-create the theme at a later date based on the new default as this will obviously make it easier to apply mod customisations :).
Yeah, that's a good point..

I guess I will wait for the "new" default theme then, hopefully when beta 4 will come out - and hopefully again - soon enough :)

riker

H

We're running a pre-release here so there are only a few things remaining ;D
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: