News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How to split topic and both have original poster name

Started by abigailr, July 23, 2008, 07:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abigailr

I want to split a topic into two topics, both will keep the original poster name. I am able to split the topic but then my name is on one. Any feature now or in the works?

FYI, at my forum people ask me questions and sometimes they ask 2 or more in one message but I must answer them separately.

rafter

The username who owns the topic should split it if you're looking for both same name.

abigailr

Quote from: rafter on July 24, 2008, 10:11:46 AM
The username who owns the topic should split it if you're looking for both same name.

For my forum, I must split the topic. My user will not split the topic. If SMF doesn't provide this I have to go through a manual procedure of start a new topic under my personal name then edit that to have the correct name and copy the original message into it.

Rumbaar

The poster will be the threads creator if it's the first post.  You can't change the name of the poster when it's split.

So if you create a thread and then someone posts, if you split the thread. The new thread with the 'someone' username will be the new thread creator.  If you want it in another name they'll have to post it, if you want it in your name you'll have to copy and paste it and create that new thread.  Then delete the other post.

You can use the [hr] tag to put a line between your answers, or split your reply quotes to answer separate questions.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

abigailr

Quote from: Rumbaar on July 26, 2008, 09:53:50 AM
The poster will be the threads creator if it's the first post.  You can't change the name of the poster when it's split.

So if you create a thread and then someone posts, if you split the thread. The new thread with the 'someone' username will be the new thread creator.  If you want it in another name they'll have to post it, if you want it in your name you'll have to copy and paste it and create that new thread.  Then delete the other post.

You can use the [hr] tag to put a line between your answers, or split your reply quotes to answer separate questions.
I appreciate you are trying to help. But none of these is what I want. What I want is just what I said at first. I want to split the original post so it seems like the poster asked two different questions instead of two questions in one post. Apparently, there is no way to do this, although I can go through a tedious manual process and accomplish it.

Rumbaar

No you can't split the contents of a single post and have them created by the same person (unless it was you who created it).  You'll have to educate your uses to not post two questions in one post or deal with it another way.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: