Problem: Member posts remote image but forum adds "width=320 height=240"

Started by Deprecated, July 25, 2008, 03:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

SMF 2.0 beta 3.1 public

Member posts remotely hosted image but SMF adds "width=320 height=240" to IMG tag. Members complain that displayed image is too small, and I agree with them. I don't want this limitation, or at least I want to set the maximum to a larger number of pixels.

Forum > Attachments and Avatars > Attachment Settings

I've tried all four combinations of "Display image attachments as pictures under post" and "Resize images when showing under posts."

Maximum width/height of thumbnails are both 800. I suspect all these settings apply to forum hosted images rather than remote images.

I'm stumped. I've come a long ways in the 5 days since I first installed SMF but I just cannot find any way to keep the forum from adding the "width=320 height=240" to IMG tags. I suspect I'm configuring the wrong item.

Help! TIA! :)

SlammedDime

You are indeed configuring the wrong option. :)

Admin Panel > Configuration > Options > Max width and height of posted pictures.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Deprecated

Aha! I see it now! I'm sure that will fix the problem. :)

I administered another brand of forum software for a year, and it's very frustrating to know there's settings for the things I want to change, but difficult to navigate because I'm not familiar with SMF yet. I think I've been on every page countless times but after 5 days I've gotten into a kind of daze.

Thanks for the quick reply and I'm sure my problem is solved. :D

Deprecated

Just reporting back, indeed it is fixed.

It's somewhat unclear what the options described in my OP control.

Display image attachments as pictures under post

Resize images when showing under posts

It's clear to me now that these apply to images hosted on my SMF forum. I will appreciate a short explanation if available. I checked the SMF online manual but found I was still confused.

SlammedDime

Yes, the settings under Avatars and Attachments apply only to files uploaded via the Attachments feature.

The option I showed you only applies to images posted using the [IMG] bbcode.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Deprecated

I'm now trying to configure the image attachments display. I don't quite get what "Display image attachments as pictures under post" and "Resize images when showing under posts" control.

I'm guessing that if "Display image attachments as pictures under post" is NOT checked that you just get a printed link that must be clicked to view the image, i.e. no thumbnail.

Could it be that when "Display image attachments as pictures under post" is checked that the full image displays unless you have "Resize images when showing under posts" checked? And when the latter is checked only then the thumbnail limits are used?

SlammedDime

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: