Want to set one category section so only one class of member can start threads

Started by Deprecated, July 25, 2008, 04:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

I've been working a few days trying to configure my SMF (2.0 B 3.1) so that only a special member group can start threads.

I have regular members and I have a special class of merchants who sell supplies to my members, let's call them Suppliers.

I want a forum section on my SMF forum for Suppliers to post sale advertisements. Members should not be able to start threads in this section, but other than that the permissions of both groups should be the same. IOW, members should be able to reply to the threads that Suppliers start.

I've been trying to figure this out for about 3 days and I've seen most of the settings but there's just one essential part that's missing.

Help will be appreciated! :)

NickC

Admin -> Boards -> Permissions -> Modify (against the board you want to change)-> Post New Topics

Post New Topics is in the Post topics and replies to the board section, which might be collapsed, so you won't see the options until you open it.

Deprecated

I'm sorry, that ain't workin' for me. I can't see any place to change things so that Regular Members cannot start threads but Suppliers can. All settings I've found appear to affect everybody, i.e. if I take away permission to start threads it looks like nobody can start threads in any section.

I'm afraid I'm too much a newbie to follow what you're saying, but I appreciate your effort in helping me.

NickC

I'm not giving up just yet. My previous post didn't cover chaning permissions for a specific section of the forum, or setting up the supplier group in the first place. This covers the necessary steps from scratch.

Create a new membergroup called Suppliers:

Admin -> Membergroups -> Add Membergroup

Enter the group name in the Membergroup name field, click based off of in Permissions and check Check All in the Visible Boards section. Click Add Group. Change any options you want to on the next screen and click Save.

Next create a Permissions Profile for your new area:

Admin -> Permissions -> Edit Profiles

Enter a new profile name (e.g. Suppliers) in the New Profile/Profile Name field and click Create. Click Suppliers in Edit Profiles then against Regular Members scroll down to Post topics and replies to the board and uncheck Post new topics.

Then create your supplier section. If you want to place it in its own category go to:

Admin -> Boards -> Create New Category

Enter the options you want in the New Category form.

If you want to place your new board(s) in an existing category skip the previous step.

Then go to:

Admin -> Boards

Click Add Board in the category you want. Select Suppliers in the Permissions profile drop down.

That should do it.

Deprecated

Thank you so much for your patient help! :)

I deleted my board and supplier permissions, then recreated them following your instructions... and it worked!!! :D

I don't know what I did differently this time but I'm sure I'll continue getting better as I try the more complicated things.

Thanks again!

NickC

Advertisement: