Big problem: Anyone can become admin?

Started by X3mE, August 03, 2008, 03:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X3mE

Ok, I've had my forum attacked a couple of times last week. It appears that the attacker registers and gives admin privileges to himself. I don't know how it is possible, but I'm guessing it is a security hole in SMF 2.0 beta 3.1.

Luckily, no big damage was done (mostly because he obviously had no intentions to do serious damage, he was just messing around), and my mods alerted me right away so I banned him asap, but I would like to prevent this from happening in the future.

Currently I have set the admins to approve all registrations, but that's not good enough protection.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is - never try.

My mods:
OS & Browser Detection (1.5 is out!) | Skype Profile Field | GTalk Profile Field | AllCaps Blocker | SMF Syntax Highlighter (Beta) + 2 in development!

Personal websites:
Mobilize.rs (and forum) | Lolmao.info

H

There are currently no known security problems with SMF.

I'd enable report generation in Admin > Features and Options > Core Features and then check your permissions to ensure you haven't allowed users to change their own membergroup or something similar.

See: Generate Reports for more info.

To be on the safe side you may also want to file a Security Report
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

X3mE

Quote from: H on August 03, 2008, 04:31:32 PM
I'd enable report generation in Admin > Features and Options > Core Features and then check your permissions to ensure you haven't allowed users to change their own membergroup or something similar.

No, the permissions are good.

Quote from: H on August 03, 2008, 04:31:32 PM
To be on the safe side you may also want to file a Security Report

Ok, I've filed one.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is - never try.

My mods:
OS & Browser Detection (1.5 is out!) | Skype Profile Field | GTalk Profile Field | AllCaps Blocker | SMF Syntax Highlighter (Beta) + 2 in development!

Personal websites:
Mobilize.rs (and forum) | Lolmao.info

Advertisement: