News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Timed Post Submission modification

Started by tk2012, July 31, 2008, 03:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tk2012

I'm not sure if some people are like me or not, but there are some topics that I start which take a long period of time in order to create.  It may be something like a RULES topic that lists many different regulations or a SCHEDULE topic which will have up to 4 months worth of events.  There's been times that I've pre-written my topics in Word and saved them, so that I could then copy & paste them JUST so I could post them at a specific time. (like for a contest start where it starts at 1pm on the dot!) 

I was wondering if anyone else would like the ability to be able to pre-write a new topic and then set a time in order for it to post?  This would be a nice enhancement and for people who have timed events like we do on my board, it would help us to not have to worry about being available at a certain time just to hit submit on something we may have created three to four days previous.

(Of course, I would love this for 2.0!  ;D )

Eliana Tamerin

OMG. Wow, and I've just thought this up as a mod. I intended it for 1.1.5, but with 2.0's Scheduled Tasks, that wouldn't be too difficult to implement there.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

tk2012

I know it would be useful to me, but didn't know if anyone else saw the need.  I know I would use it weekly and a few of my members would as well.  On my forum, we are posting results a lot of competitions.  It would be nice to be able to tell people that the results would be shown at whatever o'clock and be able to make the post, set the time, and BOOM the post appears at that scheduled time like clockwork.  I can think of other reasons I would like to use something like this, but hoped it would be beneficial to others.

tk2012

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on July 31, 2008, 11:30:35 AM
OMG. Wow, and I've just thought this up as a mod. I intended it for 1.1.5, but with 2.0's Scheduled Tasks, that wouldn't be too difficult to implement there.

Eliana,

Are you thinking of doing this?  Would be happy to give you some option ideas.

Eliana Tamerin

Yeah, feel free to spill out what you're thinking.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

tk2012

Sorry I haven't gotten back.  My database crashed when my host upgraded the server and as usual Comcast died two weekends in a row.  (Crossing my fingers it doesn't happen this weekend!)

Anyway, there are certain times a week when I like to post certain topics and such.  On eof these things is posting a "Weekly Poll".  I tried to do this as on time as I could, but some weeks I was out of state or on vacation, so I wasn't able to make the posts as planned.

For someone pretty anal like me, it would be nice to think out a the beginning of the month or whenever things I want to post.  So, say next week I'm thinking about all the polls I want to post in September on Monday.  There are 5 Mondays in September, so I could make 5 polls now, date them as to the time and day I want them to post, and then not worry about it again until the next month when I figure out the topic for October.  Each week on Monday the assigned poll would appear.

There's just so many uses for this as well other than polls.  If people run any type of contest, it would be great to announce when the something is going to start and when.  Then, at the assigned time, the post appears and your contest can officially begin with all the information in it.

Anyway, I know I'm just giving more reason and ways to use the mod, so I'll try to contribute a little to what would be needed now...

-   It would need to include the ability to post polls (with the post as well)
-   Not sure if there would need to be a max on how many days in advance you can make something or not
-   Would have to be able to choose which board it would post to when submitted

Actually, I took a look at the "Drafts" mod for I think it was 1.1.X something and that is a nice start, but timed submissions and polling would need to be included to it.  Something like that would kill two birds with one stone so to speak.  If you didn't put a date, it would just save it until you put one into it and then become a way to make drafts.

I'm no good with specifics.  I only know how I want to use it or could use it.  Sorry if I'm not a help!

Advertisement: