News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Major problem - some people can\'t access my site whilst others can

Started by Threepwud, July 31, 2008, 04:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threepwud

Wow, maybe two pints?! Ha, thanks, seriously.

I shall remove all directions tomorrow and try a simple index.html with a javascript url redirection to the /forum.

I need the other older forum (if only I didn't) as it has many features that the users like which are not supported in 2 beta 3. Stuff like galleries and such... so I link to the old one so they can still use these features.

Hopefully I want the main index.html page to be a proper website with a link to http://www.hldrforum.com/forum

makes sense? I just don't know why my other users can't access the site at all without the original errors. Maybe removing the sub dirs and auto url redirections will help...!

Thanks all again peeps.

ccbtimewiz

Quote from: Threepwud on August 04, 2008, 03:45:24 PM
Wow, maybe two pints?! Ha, thanks, seriously.

I shall remove all directions tomorrow and try a simple index.html with a javascript url redirection to the /forum.

I need the other older forum (if only I didn't) as it has many features that the users like which are not supported in 2 beta 3. Stuff like galleries and such... so I link to the old one so they can still use these features.

Hopefully I want the main index.html page to be a proper website with a link to http://www.hldrforum.com/forum

makes sense? I just don't know why my other users can't access the site at all without the original errors. Maybe removing the sub dirs and auto url redirections will help...!

Thanks all again peeps.

I'd suggest doing the redirection using php like I mentioned. But I guess it's really up to you. I just find it easier. ^^;

For directions on how to do such with php, refer to the post I made a little bit back in this topic.

Deprecated

Quote from: Threepwud on August 04, 2008, 03:45:24 PMI shall remove all directions tomorrow and try a simple index.html with a javascript url redirection to the /forum.

1. I suggest you make that a PHP redirection file although it may make little practical difference. My use of HTML has been plummeting lately, all replaced with PHP. I'm not sure exactly how HTML redirections are going to agree with your having a forum installed in root, but the .htaccess has the same problem. I'm even wondering if it would be a good idea to move your entire old forum to another subfolder, perhaps /oldforum/ and use repair_settings.php to get it going. Having /oldforum/ and /forum/ just might simplify things a lot. (The .htaccess could nicely redirect all requests to /forum/ except those specifying /oldforum/. It would require some changes. Ask me for help if you want it.)

2. Something occurred to me and not wanting to reread the entire thread please excuse me if I'm repeating an earlier suggestion, but you might want to look at Admin -> Configuration -> Feature Configuration and see how you've configured "Use subdomain independent cookies." You might also consider your Cookie Name setting. I haven't experimented with these settings myself so my idea may be totally irrelevant, but perhaps there could be some cookie problem involved.

Good luck!

Threepwud

Thanks mate, looked over the cookies issue.

I'll link to what I have done in detail, maybe to shed some extra light on the situation.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=249599.msg1639697#msg1639697

Advertisement: