problem with general permission for guests, can still see stats, who's online

Started by Deprecated, August 07, 2008, 04:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

In my Members -> General Permissions, modify Guests, and I see all zero permissions, particularly:

View forum statistics = off
View who's online = off

Nevertheless a guest can see the following on my index page:

Recent Posts (maybe that's not a mistake)
Forum Stats
Users Online

I can't quite figure out why the guests can see forum stats and users online.

I suspect the Recent Posts is just that's how the way it works, but is there any way to deny this to guests?

bros

You can make it so people have to register in order to view the forum.

Deprecated

No, that's no good. I want half of my forum exposed to guests, and half inaccessible, so that they are encouraged to register and become a member.

Deprecated

This is a simple question. Either there is a simple answer or SMF 2.0b3.1p is broken.

I'm looking at the general permissions for guests and a few of them are:

View forum statistics
View the memberlist
View Who's Online
Search for polls and topics

None of them are checked.

Guests can still view forum statistics.
Guests cannot view the memberlist.
Guests can still view who is online.
Guests cannot search for polls and topics.

That's two out of four. Either there is something I am not comprehending or the software is borked.

Three days since my OP and nobody knows the answer?

Rumbaar

With those permissions off, they can't access those areas:
/index.php?action=stats - Statistics
/index.php?action=who - who is online
/index.php?action=search - search

If they can, then some other modification is messing with your set permissions.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Deprecated

Sorry. A few days ago I got approved a mod to fix this issue with standard settings.

Hide Info Center From Your Guests

It makes the Info Center unavailable to guests. Problem solved. OP status modified to reflect current status.

Rumbaar

Ah so technically it was working, but you desired a greater control over the info center as whole for guests.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Deprecated

Quote from: Rumbaar on August 16, 2008, 09:25:53 PM
Ah so technically it was working, but you desired a greater control over the info center as whole for guests.

So technically it was broken, but I decided to fix it on my end! :D ROTFLMAO! ;)

It all depends on your design intention. When I configure SMF so that guests cannot view who's online, my intention is that they should not be able to access any information about which members are currently active.  The Info Center was leaking that information, so my modification plugged up the leak.

From the SMF developers' point of view, technically it's working. From my point of view, technically it's broken. The great thing about open source software is that everybody gets to have it their own way! :)

I would like to again compliment the design of the SMF package installer which allows myself and other modification authors to easily communicate our updates, fixes and enhancements to other SMF users. It's the package installer that puts the 'open' into SMF's open source software.

Rumbaar

Well your fix no longer allows for permissions to control the access to those sections.  I personally would have used the combination of $context['show_stats'] attribute to control the display of the whole stats section and $context['show_who'] attribute to control the display of the whole who online section.

This way you can set the permission for any membergroup to use that permission to control it's display.

[ Themes ]

Deprecated

I've made a note to check that out. Perhaps there is a more elegant way to make my modification work, and if so I can always update the mod package to make use of it.

Keep in mind that I had never heard of SMF just a month ago, now coming up in a few days on my having used the software only one month since first installing it on my forum. I've been studying SMF's source code barely three weeks, so in terms of SMF modification authors I'm just a rank newbie. I view all software as a work in progress, both my modification and SMF itself. Come to think of it, I guess I'm a work in progress myself, as we all are. My modification gets the job done, but perhaps it can get the job done better when I get time to review its status.

linette97

Mod works fine with 1.9. Just had to manually install code in my Themes/dilbermc/BoardIndex.template.php.. Thanks
Watch Documentaries Online!

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift,
That's why it's called the Present.

SimpleJoe

awesome fix - simple and to the point. worked in 1.1.10 by manually editing code
Hosting Simple Machines since YaBB -- One of the first SMF Forum Hosting providers with Chat and FTP for the inner developer in us all.

emicd

i want to deny stats to guest! i have the boxes unchecked in permission, but i need that mod!
im running 1.1.11 what should i do? thx

Advertisement: