News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

PM control by admin

Started by cellax, August 08, 2008, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cellax

I would like to work on a mod about a Control by the admins on all PMs written on board.

Is it usefull? I think that the pm control is a good thing to find out flooders and spammers on users advice.

sorry if it isn't the right board.
if someone like it I would like to share my work

karlbenson

If you mean admins being able to view other users pms. The answer is no
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=451.msg657#msg657

SMF believes in privacy.  And as such there isn't a feature (thankfully), and no mod for it.
And in the past SMF has been against a mod developed, or guide posted on here how to do it.

If you're worried about spammers etc, set limits, and enable the reporting of pms to admins (which reveals the individual offending pm, without revealing all pms).  Its like your emails in your gmail account being read by the folks at Google.

As such if your intention was to reveal all users pms to admins, then with respect, I would expect this topic to be locked.

Aaron™

You could just look threw the MySQL stuff if you are site owner/worker.
QuoteWhy all theas *****'s tryin to stick me for me moneyz??

cellax

ok, I understand the SMF policy.

I won't do this.

thx for the replies guys

Sabre™

There is an smf mod out there that does this.
Although not supported by smf AT ALL, it is most definitely out there, as I have run into it before.

Privacy is very important to you, and your community.
When you break that trust, everything else from then on will be questioned!

Karlbensons suggestions are the best solution, and trust that your users will tell you if spammers are lurking. :)

Aaron™ is another option.

Quote from: karlbenson on August 08, 2008, 05:48:43 PMAs such if your intention was to reveal all users pms to admins, then with respect, I would expect this topic to be locked.

I dont believe that was the intention, but agree that this thread should be closed :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

redone

Please read Karl's reply on this. Essentially this is the team's belief regarding the reading of personal / private messages within your forum. I would not recommend reading users private messages and strongly suggest that you if intend on doing so you let your members know prior to registration.

Thread locked.

Advertisement: