News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Theme] Simplicity (SMF v1.0.5 - 1.1RC2)

Started by bloc, January 23, 2005, 12:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miraenda

I'll test this out tonight sometime too.  Thanks for getting to it Bloc, much appreciated. :)

bloc

No, the stylesheets are untouched, save for some space shifts etc.

Look for any javascript errors, thats the main thing. The code is jumbled so much from default theme that placing new javascript can sometimes cause errors. I hope I got it right though.

destalk

Hi Bloc

Upgrade has gone well so far. Which is great. Just one issue...

I think I may have found an error in the "Register.template.php". Whenever someone tried to register, they get a Template Parse Error. I replaced the RC2 Register.template.php with the Beta3 version and it all worked fine.

This has been tested on a Mac with Firefox 1,5 and Safari.

Hope it's not too much of a problem.

A much more minor issue I found was in the Current Theme section of the admin area, when I specified how many topics to show on the front page. I found that each time I went back into that section and changed another option, the number of topics switched back to 10 on its own. I'm guessing that this is a JS issue? It may akso be just a Mac JS issue.

As I say, it's not a huge problem, I just have to remember to to type in the the correct figure when I change anything in that section.

destalk

I've also just noticed that when I try to check the forum error log I get an error;

The requested URL could not be retrieved

Zero Sized Reply

Any thoughts?

bloc

destalk

Actually you can cross one of those off the list. I went through all of the forum maintenance procedures and I can now see the forum error log ok.

Now that i can see it, the forum error log does display a heck of a lot of error messages – 8: Undefined index is shown for pretty much every action. Don't know if that is a problem or not?

Everything seems to work just fine though. So thanks for updating this Bloc.

FBI

Quote from: Miraenda on July 04, 2006, 08:53:37 AM
Thanks so much Bloc :D

Yes! Thank You So much Bloc.
Till now, I modifying some code from BLOC template to follow my visitor needs.
And Simplicity Themes save more than 50% bandwidth at My FORUM.

destalk

I've just checked my Simplicity forum error log since updating to RC2. I keep clearing the log, but within a few hours the log has about 1,000 pages of errors, affecting nearly every single .template.php. All of them seem to be exactly the same error;

8: Undefined index:
File: /home/user/public_html/username/Themes/simplicity11rc2/Everyfile.template.php (eval?)
Line: 177

The forum seems to work OK, but is this something that I should be worried about? Does anyone else get this?

Many thanks.

bloc

hm, it must be something inside index.tempalte or Load.php since its one very page call. I am not getting those..but they usally signifies a non-existing entry in an array. Whether its language error or something else I am not sure.

destalk

Hmm. Thanks. I don't really understand that at all as I'm a PHP thickie.  :(

index.template and Load.php are two files that I have definitely not altered. I have made a few minor tweaks in a couple of the other templates and have renamed a few terms in index.english.php and Modifications.english.php.
As well as using the beta version of the registration template (as I mentioned above).

Oh well. Should I be worried by these errors?

destalk

Out of interest Bloc. When you developed this theme originally. Did you notice the way that that on the Guardian forum, the forum folders on the left moved up to the top of the list, as and when someone posted in that subject? This means that the more popular boards at any one time always rise towards the top of the list.

Is that something that you decided not to implement, or was it too much of a headache to implement?

Just interested. I always thought it was a kind of cool feature.

bloc

No, I didn't notice that..was the boards sorted on number of posts then?

destalk

QuoteNo, I didn't notice that..was the boards sorted on number of posts then?

Not exactly, no.

What happens, is that if someone posts in the "IT Board", then the IT Board link moves to the top of the list on the left. If someone then posts in the "Sports Board" then the Sports Board link moves to the top.

In this way the most popular boards are at the top more often. It's entirely under the member's control in a way and the admin doesn't have to guess which board is the most popular and which one to put at the top. Although, I suppose it would be nice to be able to override this for certain boards.

It's similar to the way that the most popular posts appear on the front page in the middle column, but it affects the Boards themselves (in a less dramatic way I suppose).

Anyway, I wasn't neccessarily suggesting that you do anything about this (you're probably sick of this theme by now ;) ), I was just interested in whether it was something that you had considered originally, but had decided against implementing.

Of course if you did think it was a good idea... ;)

bloc

mm..I am bit torn. It will be confusing to have the boards shift places - at least when SMF users are used to fixed positions. Also the categories will be wrong..or at least cannot be shown the way they are now.

destalk

Ah yes, of course, the categories are the big thing. I hadn't considered that. :-[

The Guardian uses a very different approach.

Oh well, it was just a thought. Perhaps it would be better as a mod by someone who is really keen.

destalk

Have you got any ideas about the errors on my site, by the way?

Anything that you would recommend that I do?

Miraenda

I'm surprised the boards shifting wouldn't make people confused on the guardian...

I actually make a point to alphabetize my boards and categories within them, and I would honestly hate to have them shift around haha.  I'm an alphabetizing freak, so it would bug me to no end ;D

destalk

Funnily enough when I tested the Guardian board ages ago, I didn't even conciously notice it.

It's a news board and a very fast moving one at that. So by the time you have browsed and posted a couple of times,  the boards have shifted and you simply think oh I haven't noticed that board, what goes on it there?.

It's an interesting way to try and get people to visit boards that would normally be anchored at the bottom.

Having said that, there are some boards on my sites that I am happy to let sit at the bottom of the list.  :-\

bloc

It is indeed interesting..I need to go check it out. If not for Simplicity maybe for another theme idea. ;)

bloc

ah, I see. It seems to calculate how many recent posts are from a particular board in any given moment, and use that criteria to display the boards order. No categories on the boards as well.

No wonder I didn't notice before..I hardly refreshed the page back then. :)

Advertisement: