News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[Theme] Simplicity (SMF v1.0.5 - 1.1RC2)

Started by bloc, January 23, 2005, 12:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarLBanks

Thanks for your help Bloc. Child boards indication on the frontpage is my only suggestion. This theme is great.

Edit: Your modified index template doesn't keep the forum title but it takes away the Simple machines forum logo. I'd like to keep the plain text forum logo.

Another Edit: I'm also curious like one of the above posters how to add links to the right menu.

Third Edit: Sorry for so many questions but is there a way to have only the topics you've visited blue unless there's a new post in them? Since if that's possible then I'd greatly enjoy that. Other than that this is an excellent theme.

bloc

To add the forum title back in , add this on next line below the line that says "// logo":

echo '<div style="position: relative; left: -20px;text-transform: capitalize; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size: 40px;letter-spacing: -1px">',$context['forum_name'] , '</div>';

For adding links on the right..it depends on where you want them, but the top of that area starts with this code:

template_menu();
      echo '</span>';

I suggest you just start right above that block of code with something like this:
      echo '<a href="somelink">somelinkname</a><br />
            <a href="somelink2">somelinkname2</a><br />';
      echo '<br />';

That last <br /> is just to make a space between your links and the usertools, which will come right under. Now, if you want it elsewhere, you can go further down, but beware that some of the codeblocks/items are under an IF-condition - meaning if the user is logged in for instance. Guests wont see that then..so you have to find a spot outside that.

As for your third question..in style css there are defined green color for links, blue for visited and red for hovering. But info about new unread posts are shown with a "new" image behind the link. But the color does not consider this, it only considers if you have visited it before....so I don't think its possible to change the deafult behavior of links like that..but I may be wrong.

No problems with questions, I like challenges. ;D

CarLBanks

Thanks, I didn't like every link being made blue after I visited them. So all links are now the normal color.

Edit: Your modified index.php also took away the theme changer. I liked it and want it back.

bloc

Use the file in the archive and go through the changes again we have discussed here. The added links routine would be the same.

CarLBanks

Thanks for all your help Bloc and when a check on version info is shown it says that the Profile.template.php, Recent.template.php, and BoardIndex.template.php are 1.0 and not 1.0.1 and that the theme is still 1.0

Edit: How can I add "by 'Poster'"  to the recent posts area?

bloc

Updates:

- added child boards on front page.
- added poster name in recent posts. Bold text on post title.

Archive is updated with latest changes, but if you just want the new changes, replace "BoardIndex.template.php" and add the image "on3.gif" to your simplicity/images/  folder.

CarLBanks

Thanks Bloc, this just makes the theme a lot cooler.

alienine

Hehe, this has to be one of my favourite themes so far.

fabio

i like this theme very much
it`s nice ,clean and different .

i have a small problem though ... in the stats screen i don`t want to display the right side block (with the navigation links)
i checked Stats.template.php with no luck.

something more ..... i want to display the bext events in the index page . i found in BoardIndex.template.php that the code is commented out. "enabled" it but it messes up the template . it seems that a clossing <tr> is missing. is it only me ?

destalk

Bloc

I can't believe I've only just discovered this. You've done an awesome job. Less is definitely more.  :)

destalk

Just checking it all out. Very very impressive.

I suppose the main difference between this and the Guardian approach is that they display the thread title that has been posted on most recently, rather than the latest individual post. The only potential downside is that if one thread gets very busy, then you could end up with a whole column with the same title.

Just wondering what it would look like to have "Recent Topics Function" in the centre column, rather than "Recent Posts Function"... Is that doable? Or am I talking nonsense? Also, how easy would it be to take the posters names off in the central column?

Brilliant though, I can't say it enough times.

Burpee

Same here, I'd like to see the Recent Topics Function as well :)

bloc

Quote from: fabio on January 30, 2005, 08:43:26 AM
i like this theme very much
it`s nice ,clean and different .

i have a small problem though ... in the stats screen i don`t want to display the right side block (with the navigation links)
i checked Stats.template.php with no luck.

something more ..... i want to display the bext events in the index page . i found in BoardIndex.template.php that the code is commented out. "enabled" it but it messes up the template . it seems that a clossing <tr> is missing. is it only me ?

The calendar events is commented out because I did not want to put everything on the front page - "simplicity" you know.. ;) So it will have to be adjusted and put further up for it to show really.

The stats page cant be done without the right bar - because the right bar comes from index.template.php file - present in all pages. Sorry.

bloc

Quote from: destalk on January 30, 2005, 09:25:05 AM
Just checking it all out. Very very impressive.

I suppose the main difference between this and the Guardian approach is that they display the thread title that has been posted on most recently, rather than the latest individual post. The only potential downside is that if one thread gets very busy, then you could end up with a whole column with the same title.

Just wondering what it would look like to have "Recent Topics Function" in the centre column, rather than "Recent Posts Function"... Is that doable? Or am I talking nonsense? Also, how easy would it be to take the posters names off in the central column?

Brilliant though, I can't say it enough times.

Thank you. You gave me the idea, so its partly your doing..! ;D

As for the recent posts..yes, its possible. I have already thought about it, but did not pursue it because it will have to use SSI.php. But I can make an alternative version......its just (i guess) BoardIndex that needs changing anyway.

bloc

Here is an version of BoardIndex.template.php that uses SSI.php to display recent topics instead of recent posts.It could maybe be enhanced some, but this will give you the general idea.

The SSI.php is only used at the front page for this.

Update: a more accurate path to SSI is used instead. See this post for details.

destalk

Quote from: Bloc on January 30, 2005, 01:34:24 PM

Thank you. You gave me the idea, so its partly your doing..! ;D

Glad that my whinging paid off. ;) It's a marvelous job, wish I had the talent to have done it myself.

destalk

Quote from: Bloc on January 30, 2005, 02:14:48 PM
Here is an version of BoardIndex.template.php that uses SSI.php to display recent topics instead of recent posts.It could maybe be enhanced some, but this will give you the general idea.

Excellent, I'll have a little play around with it.

Just a couple of stupid questions, if I may.

1. Is it still possible to use a "header.php" to put some graphics (or whatever) at the top of the page?

2. The theme css now gives an error if I try to edit it, I assume that this is because you have a .css file for each colour? Do I just edit those?

3. Is it possible to switch off the "(choose color)" drop down menu - I like everyone to have to use the 'default' look and feel.

4. Bearing in mid what I've just said, to what degree are we allowed to change the look and feel of this? Would you object if I changed the graphic element at the top (to the right of the date)? Sorry, I'm just not clear about the 'copyright' issues of these things.  :-X

Thanks.  :D

dennis

Hi Bloc,

I can't say enough how much I like this theme.  One thing that I really wish to have is the collapsible option for the Board Categories.

If you don't think it is a good idea to have it in there, how about give me some hints on which file I should change to have this feature.  Through some difficult trial and errors, I may get it right.

Thanks,
Dennis

destalk

I suppose the other thing that I would like to switch off is the 'Quick Jump' menu on the left, as some of my titles are really long and it makes the let hand side column huge, when viewing a list of posts. It's not a problem when it's just at the bottom of the page, in the middle (such as when actually reading a thread).

Also (unless I'm missing something), on long threads that go onto several pages (e.g. Read 2587 times)  [1] 2 3 etc) the page list only appears at the top of the page. Is there any way to have this at the bottom also?

Sorry, to still be whinging.  ;D

bloc

Quote from: destalk on January 30, 2005, 08:12:23 PM
Quote from: Bloc on January 30, 2005, 02:14:48 PM

Excellent, I'll have a little play around with it.

Just a couple of stupid questions, if I may.

1. Is it still possible to use a "header.php" to put some graphics (or whatever) at the top of the page?
I should think so..make sure its a real php file and just include, or require it. Do you need any help on that?
2. The theme css now gives an error if I try to edit it, I assume that this is because you have a .css file for each colour? Do I just edit those?
Yes. It does not use style.css at all, so edit blue.css, green.css etc.
3. Is it possible to switch off the "(choose color)" drop down menu - I like everyone to have to use the 'default' look and feel.
Not yet automatically..but I will update it with a choice of setting the default color, and which should be visible. And of course not show the changer at all.

4. Bearing in mid what I've just said, to what degree are we allowed to change the look and feel of this? Would you object if I changed the graphic element at the top (to the right of the date)? Sorry, I'm just not clear about the 'copyright' issues of these things.  :-X

Thanks.  :D

I dont mind if you change the graphics up there..its your call. If you adjust it a lot, I will suggest adding your name to "Simplicity design by Bloc" with "modified by destalk" or something...its not important though. ;)

Advertisement: