News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Attachments names encrypted & search engines

Started by 9083ja, August 12, 2008, 03:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9083ja

Hello,

I have one question for you. If I check the option to encrypt attachment names the search engines doesnt index them?
I am interest to search engines index all attachments of my forum, but if i uncheck the option i cant have two attachments files with the same name... and i cant do this..

Thanks and Regards.

karlbenson

Encrypting attachment names is purely a security measure. (and is strongly recommended) [+ moving attachments out of the public_html folder if you can ]

It makes it almost impossible to attempt to access attachments directly. As bad people often try to do.

However there is no difference to the attachment link, in that it is still run through smf.

ccbtimewiz

Though make note if you encrypt your attachments, it'll be difficult to restore them if your site goes whacky and you need to restore with backups.

karlbenson

Not really ccbtimewiz.

I've never had a problem restoring them (Its that you must remember to select binary mode in your ftp program uploading)

ccbtimewiz

Quote from: karlbenson on August 13, 2008, 10:06:00 AM
Not really ccbtimewiz.

I've never had a problem restoring them (Its that you must remember to select binary mode in your ftp program uploading)

Oh. Well, that's what the manual says. :P

Advertisement: