News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Password Mod

Started by 2by2host, August 13, 2008, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2by2host

Link to Mod

The purpose of the mod is to allow potential members the ability to join a pre-determined membergroup (or groups) based upon an additional registration password.

Registered users will then be part of the selected group/s instead of the "Regular Membergroup".

Example.

Member uses the additional password 1234 joins  membergroup ABCD upon successful registration

Member uses the additional password 5678 joins  membergroup EFGH upon successful registration etc.

An admin configurable "text box" permits instructions to be placed adjacent to the additional registration password box allowing for an explanation about what to enter.

It can be toggled that if no password is entered then the user can join as a "Regular Member", instruction can be placed in the "text box" to this effect.

You can find the setting in Admin -> Features and Options -> Basic Features tab.

To get faster support for this module please use this support forum at 2by2host.

Urbanite

I just wanted to be first to comment on this Mod, this is a Mod that the guys at 2by2host put together for me, they managed to turn it around within a few days Excellent Service!

Essentially I wanted the means of automatically having members join the forum to a preassigned Membergroup, this additional password mod was the means. Give the proposed new members the appropriate password and they automatically join in the correct Membergroup, taking out an element of laborious work in assigning them manually.

Ideal if you have different categories that you have set up through the Membergroup 'Permissions' allowing particular Membergroups to access only the specified categories; this makes it easy to have several different 'private areas' within your forum.
Just when you finally get it idiot proof ...along comes a bigger idiot!

callteg4

Can this be change from needing a password to putting there age in to select a group

Urbanite

The "Password" can be anything so yes numbers is also possible, you are of course relying on the honesty of the member to enter an accurate age.

callteg4

Quote from: Urbanite on September 30, 2008, 12:58:32 PM
The "Password" can be anything so yes numbers is also possible, you are of course relying on the honesty of the member to enter an accurate age.

It dont matter to me  ;) as long as there is a age in there profile I cover myself

Thanks alot I will give this mod a try

xecollons

A question: Can some regular user use the password to access to the "special group" AFTER registering?

Urbanite

No, the password must be entered at the registration stage. It then allows this user "permission" to access the group that the password is allocated against.

_System32_

Not a bad idea. very well to this private forum!

sensei888

This mod no longer works in 1.1.9. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

CrowsFoot

Can somebody make this work on SMF V2 please  ::)

2by2host

Quote from: CrowsFoot on June 08, 2009, 01:54:00 PM
Can somebody make this work on SMF V2 please  ::)
Yes, we are going to update it soon. Please sign up for an update on the mod page.

Regards,
2by2host.com team

Vyache

Yes,

Please add this mod to 2.0 RC 2.1

Thank You,
Take Care.   8)

AjaxChat - SMF 2.0 RC2 Edition Download.
mrtrc266 ~AJAX Chat Intergration FAQ's & Tips-N-Tricks~

2by2host

Quote from: Vyache on October 10, 2009, 11:57:01 AM
Yes,

Thank You,
Take Care.   8)

Good news. We upgraded it and are currently doing final testing and will upload it after everything looks good.

Regards,
2by2host.com team

Vyache

Quote from: 2by2host on October 23, 2009, 09:40:41 AM
Quote from: Vyache on October 10, 2009, 11:57:01 AM
Yes,

Thank You,
Take Care.   8)

Good news. We upgraded it and are currently doing final testing and will upload it after everything looks good.

Regards,
2by2host.com team

Thank You for working on this mod, it will a good release. I almost finished mine but, I didn't have enough time to write the code. Too much school work...

AjaxChat - SMF 2.0 RC2 Edition Download.
mrtrc266 ~AJAX Chat Intergration FAQ's & Tips-N-Tricks~

warmgrey11

Hi,

Get './Sources/Register.php test failed' on v. 1.1.10. I know 1.1.10 compatibility is not listed for this mod. Has anyone got this to work for 1.1.10 ?

Brahman

I too am eagerly awaiting the 2.0 upgrade. What a fantastic mod! It really saves my day!

Thank you so much!

Regards,

Brahman

shutiri

Hi,

I get './Sources/Register.php test failed' on v. 1.1.11.

Same here, I know 1.1.11 compatibility is not listed for this mod.

How can I make it work ?

Thank you,
Shutiri

Brahman

Thank you 2by2host for upgrading the mod to 1.11 and 2.0RC2.

It seems that I cannot deny registration to a potential member if  (s)he does not put in a valid special password. Am I overlooking something?

In other words: If a member cannot provide an additional registration password, I do not want them to be able to register at all.

Can I do that?

Thanks.

B.

Brahman

Hmmm,

the checkbox "Use a registration password?" seems not to change the functionality of the mod in any way whether it is checked or unchecked.

Regards,

B.

Advertisement: