News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

What are Requirements of SMF 2.0?

Started by humbleworld, August 15, 2008, 12:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleworld

Our forum site is running on 1.1.5 version in a shared host using cPanel. I have upgraded to VPS using Plesk. I was about to create subdomain where I will install the forum site. Which of the following options should I check so that SMF 2.0 would run in VPS with Plesk?

Apache ASP support     
SSI support     
PHP support     
CGI support     
Perl support     
Python support

humbleworld

Additional concern:

I wan to use SMF 2.0 in the VPS environment. The existing site is SMF 1.1.5, which contains lots of errors due to Fantastico mess and MODs that went in wild disorder.

Now, I want to have a clean, new installation of SMF 2.0. Is this possible? What shall I do with the SMF database?

knaphih

About the database....u can create a backup in Admin > Forum Maintenance....

or

if u have access to the cpanel, u can use phpmyadmin to create a backup..

NickC

When I upgraded mine, I did an upgrade on one test site, followed by a clean SMF 2 install on another. Then I imported the database from the first one to the second, so I had a full clean installation with all my data to test before I deployed it live.

I think the runtime requirements for 2 are the same as 1.1.x.

humbleworld

Quote from: NickC on August 16, 2008, 04:13:34 AM
When I upgraded mine, I did an upgrade on one test site, followed by a clean SMF 2 install on another. Then I imported the database from the first one to the second, so I had a full clean installation with all my data to test before I deployed it live.

I think the runtime requirements for 2 are the same as 1.1.x.

Did you experience any errors? Was the transition smooth? Did you do it all yourself?

NickC

Quote from: humbleworld on August 16, 2008, 09:52:21 AMDid you experience any errors? Was the transition smooth? Did you do it all yourself?

It all went without a hitch, did it all myself.

humbleworld

How did you import the database? What program did you use? How big was your database?

NickC

phpMyAdmin for both export and import. Make sure Add IF NOT EXISTS is checked when you export. Then drop all of the tables in the second one and import the upgraded backup.

My database is about 25Mb.

Rumbaar

Well it the requirements for 2.x are the same as 1.1.x Installing SMF.

Now I would install a fresh install of 1.1.5, import your db
How do I restore the database data? If it's large you can use BigDump.

Then using the large 2.x upgrade package apply it to your 1.1.5 forum and upgrade.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: