News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Virtual Cash for betting?

Started by synicfan, August 19, 2008, 08:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

synicfan

I noticed this on some vBulletin sites.

I was wondering if there could be a "virtual betting system" created.
I have a sports forum and members have expressed interest in a "virtual betting system".
like betting on games, giving vcash as kudos, things like that...and the cash each member has be shown under their name in each post. Maybe an admin section that would allow a "banking system" to hand out more v$$$.

I did a search and didnt see anything.
Im using:
SMF 1.1.5 / TinyPortal v0.9.8

what do you guys think? is this something that's already been implimented or something thats feasible?

thanks for your help and I appreciate the great forum!

synicfan

Does anyone know if something like this has already been done?

Charles Hill

This is actually the first I've ever seen of this idea.  It's a good idea.

PBX

Yea, It is a really good idea.

spearfish

No, no system has been set up that includes sports betting.  Interesting idea.

So, games and odds would be setup by the administrator?  And then maybe for score reporting, you can set up a system where users submit the score and if xxx people agree on a score it goes through?  (Of course, moderators and admins could get multiple votes).

Not a bad idea.  The only (worthwhile + free) cash mod I've seen is SMF Shop, which only slightly encompasses your needs (it sets up a money system and displays the cash, but you'd have to manually add money).

jukesoft

Hello! I don't want to make another post so...i need a mod like SMFShop but for SMF 2.0 beta 3.1 . 
I don't want a system that includes sports betting. All i want is a money system shop.

DarkImp

TinyPortal v0.9.8? whats this i am new to some of this smf stuff i mean i know alot about smf but what is "TinyPortal v0.9.8"

Charles Hill

Tiny portal let's you have a home page other than your forum's board index.  On this home page you can display feeds from boards in your forum in various side and center windows.  I've never used it, but I've seen several sites that do.

DarkImp

oh i been looking for something like that were can i get it i want it sooo bad i just hope it doesnt mess up one of my smf files

DarkImp

and does it suport smf 1.1.5

Charles Hill

http://www.tinyportal.net/

It isn't supported here on SMF any longer.  You'll have to get info / downloads from tinyportal's homepage (above).  You might also try SimplePortal by [SINAN] (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=227599.0)

DarkImp

wich one is for 1.1.5 cuase i cant install the beta one cuae it give me errors on my ftp client and one the forums it self

Charles Hill

I don't know much about either mod.  Sorry.  You can go to those links I gave you and read about them, though :)

DarkImp

ok well thanks for helping me a little

Paracelsus

Quote from: wolfbyte18 on August 24, 2008, 04:20:32 PM
No, no system has been set up that includes sports betting.  Interesting idea.

So, games and odds would be setup by the administrator?  And then maybe for score reporting, you can set up a system where users submit the score and if xxx people agree on a score it goes through?  (Of course, moderators and admins could get multiple votes).

I'd like to see this, but without the cash part... a prediction score system just for the fun of it. ;)

spearfish

I think we can mutually agree that a money / point system is fun on a forum :-)  @Paracelus, it wouldn't be real money, that'd be illegal (in the US at least)!  It'd be virtual cash.... just like points.

I'd love to make something like this but I'm tied up Making a different mod + Working on my website + Working on my 3 AP high school classes.  So, if anybody wants to give it a shot, go for it!

I've got a decent amount of knowledge of PHP and Simple Machines and learn more every day, so if somebody does make this and wants guidance swing me a PM!

synicfan

Im glad to hear Im not the only one who thinks this is a good idea.

I've been asked quite a bit by members and would REALLY like this.

A point system on betting.
A few admin controls.
A few options on things you can do with your points. (should you choose)
but mainly for the betting of points.

spearfish

Perhaps this could be made as an add-on to the SMF Shop mod - which already establishes the money & things you can do with the money.

synicfan

Quote from: spearfish on September 04, 2008, 05:02:18 PM
Perhaps this could be made as an add-on to the SMF Shop mod - which already establishes the money & things you can do with the money.

Thats a really good idea (if you know how to do that kinda stuff)!!!
I would imagine its mostly the same...with just a few minor changes.
since the functions to exchange the amounts for each member, etc...
are already there.

Isnt there SOMEONE who has pity on those who only wish to improve?  O:)

synicfan

This is getting TONS of views....
eventually, with enough exposure and views, maybe someone will be willing to make it?

Advertisement: