News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Adding Bulk Members

Started by RL Joneson, August 20, 2008, 01:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RL Joneson

Is there a way to add members by uploading an excel sheet or some other fashion to add a bunch of users at once? We are using the SMF to do our newsletter, but don't want to go through the headache of entering in our old newsletter member list one by one.

H

You can save your excel spreadsheet as a csv and then use some php to import it into SMF. I wrote this script here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=211606.msg1348420#msg1348420

You'll most likely need to modify it as your columns will be different
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

RL Joneson

Thanks H. I figured there was no way to get by the user/password fields in the csv file... right? It doesnt make too much sense then i guess. I was just wanting to get emails uploaded to use the SMF Newsletter feature with. Any way to bypass so that the entrys aren't actual users, but SMF uses their emails for the Newsletter feature only??

Just wishful thinking I suppose...

H

The only way I can think of would be to register them with their username as their e-mail. Their nickname could then be renamed to something random so their e-mail isn't public. Only issue with that would be if they did start using the forum and changed their e-mail they would be unable to change their main login username.

You may also be able to have a mod that just hides invalid users but still allows them to exist in the DB :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

RL Joneson

Hey thanks H. I think for this project we are going to just use some other email software. Are you able to Export SMF userrs to upload to another email client??

H

You can use phpmyadmin, export the smf_members column into a CSV and then delete the non-email columns.

More info: What is phpMyAdmin?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

RL Joneson

Great! Thanks H.

//Issue Resolved

Advertisement: