News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF Backup Tool for 2.0?

Started by K3TK3TK3T, August 23, 2008, 02:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3TK3TK3T

does there happen to be one? i know that the one in the downloads section isn't for 2.0, but will it be updated or anything?

thanks

karlbenson

To be honest, I've tried the java-based backup tool myself and I think there are far better ways to backup your forum.

Either through phpmyadmin or via a better script.

lordtron

Yeah I totally agree, either phpMyAdmin or just do it on the forums.

VainSoftGames.com - New Design To Gaming

K3TK3TK3T

greyknight17

It depends what you mean by automatic. None of the main backup methods I know of are "automatic". All of them require manual clicks to get them. The only way of a true automatic backup is maybe using a cron job to do the work for you.

You should backup the database via the SMF Admin panel or better yet in your host's control panel or phpMyAdmin (both of which I use and are reliable from my own experience).

MultiformeIngegno

Is there a software (uploadable via FTP) that sends to an email account a zipped backup?
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Rumbaar

Well if you have cPanel I'm sure you have the facilities to schedule daily backups that are sent or stored server side, which you can get via e-mail or FTP.

As any restoration process will be via (most likely) phpMyAdmin, you best familiarise yourself with it's operations now anyways.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Szalony Szeryf

For example, my hosting is so bad, that I can't make a good backup from cpanel, or PHPmyAdmin . I talk with people responsible off this, but they are retard, and don't wanna fix this. They say tha smf make this problem...
And if I want make backup from admin in forum, there was always problem.
SMF Backup Tool for SMF 2.0 will be welcome ;) 

Rumbaar

The garanteed method will always be phpMyAdmin.  The database stored there has really no link to the SMF forum.  It's just data in mySQL tables.  So if you're unable to do so at the level then it's an issue with your host.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

I think PHPmyAdmin is the best way to export SMF data for backup,
But as i read some people can't access the main feature of any webhost, which is sad
because there are many hosting providers provides those main features for free.
So SMF Backup tool would be great but for those whom has problems will still face problems with the back up tool as well.

As greyknight i think there should be a Cron Manager Mod for SMF

Szalony Szeryf

Soon I will go to a better hosting, but then it will problem to export my database from my current server.
I try to talk with this people, but they said that it its not their problem. And if you demand to fix this ******, they can even ban my account.
I live in Poland, and there is too much firm like this. But it comes better time, i hope. And i hope that Java Tool to SmF 2.0 comes too ;)

Rumbaar

If an export from phpMyAdmin isn't working, and the host is reluctant to fix I'm not sure of an alternate viable method to export your data.

[ Themes ]

Szalony Szeryf

I'm not expert, but its something weird.
When I want backup from smf admin panel - it almost always some table. - they tell that it is smf fault. But its not true.
When I want make backup from cpanel, it turn me back some small sql files, without posts, users...
When I go to PHPMyAdmin - it export only 2mb of data (my normal backup is about 5 mb capacity). When I ask admin, why ? - they tell me that everything working very good...
And when I used SMF tool it always copy all data.
Its strange for me... B)
I think that I change my hosting on january - that is plan. So I got 40 a month to invent a good way to do backup.
hehe... live is tough ;)

Rumbaar

Well in phpMyAdmin.

Export, and select structure, data and drop tables.  Then once it's extracted, open it up and test the contents.  If it's not all there jump on your host, if it is then you're set for the move :)

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: