Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again????

Started by hack0rz, August 25, 2008, 08:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hack0rz

I installed smf 1.5.1 but i get
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.
Then i installed smf 2.After installed again i got same msg.But 2 or three h later am able to login in admin panel.But when click configuration->server seetings then i get same msg.Plz dont ask me that am clear my cache or no.The ans is 61 times i cleared the hxxp:cache.am [nonactive] using firefox.Mod not installed and using default hxxp:theme.in [nonactive] error log it say

Quotexxxxx      Reverse chronological order of list  Today at 07:14:09 am
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address 210.212.31.53      Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 8d2cd0a5dc7070f0bbd50113ba7e05b4
     Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: Undefined
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL hxxp:xxxxx.yyyyy.com/index.php?action=admin;area=serversettings;sesc [nonactive]
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Undefined index: description
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/vol2/yyyyyy/zoka_2263264/htdocs/Themes/default/Errors.template.php (generic_menu_dropdown_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 280

xxxx & yyyyy is my username & hosting site name.
Plz any one fixed my prob.I hav already searched in google but nothing.....

hack0rz

H

Please don't bump posts within 24 hours. We're all volunteers.

Try disabling DB sessions using repair_settings.php. See: What is repair_settings.php?

Is it possible to post a link to your actual site?

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

xjessie007

Hi,

I did not have the repair_settings.php file in my installation, and running regular maintenance tasks in the forum admin interface did not help.

Well, I was suddenly getting the "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again." message too. In my case, the reason for this message was very stupid (I forgot to update database name in Settings.php when migrating my forum from one environment to the other one), but in my search for a fix, I discovered a few things about sessions.

a) Sessions are stored in your database in the Sessions table (if you have dbase sessions enabled). You can dump this table without problems. In case you decide to manually dump this table, make sure you also delete records from log_online and log_errors. These two tables seem to hold session related data as well (i.e. data related to sessions on your Sessions table).
b) I had some files related to sessions in my temporary folder where I store temp files from my web server. Find out where your server stores temp files and clean that up.
c) Clean up your cookies. Those can store some data related to this.
d) If you are worried about deleting the content of the Sessions table, you can force all sessions to expire by setting the databaseSession_lifetime variable on the Settings table to one.
e) In case you have bad luck, and you can't even log into your admin interface to disable database sessions, you can hack that settings by setting the databaseSession_enable variable to zero in your Settings database table.
f) If nothing helps, you can edit your Security.php file and disable checks related to checking sessions. Find the checkSession() function and uncomment all the stuff that checks for sessions validity.

e) and f) will not fix your problem, but it will at least get you into the system to do more research.

Note at the end: As I mentioned, I got into this error when I forgot to update the database name in the Settings.php file when migrating the forum. Of course, I do not know exactly what triggers this message on your end, but the principle is that SMF works with sessions in many ways. It seems to pass them in _GET, _POST, from DATABASE, from COOKIES, etc. If it runs into a situation where your sessiondata in one source is not the same like from the other source, it returns the message. This can happen for example when your hosting provider cleans the sessions temp folder with you logged in. In this case, you would be able to log back in after sessiondata elsewhere expires.

I am completely new to SMF, so I might be wrong in some places, but I hope this helps at least a little. There is not much written about this message when googling it up, only a few forum posts here and there, so this message is a bit of mystery. I hope this helps. :)

-------------
www.maxi-pedia.com - Maxi-Pedia: Your resource for finance & IT!
www.finance-management.cz - Central European Center for Finance and Management
www.maxi-pedia.com/forum - Maxi-Pedia Forum: Place to discuss your finance & IT questions.
When traveling to the Schengen zone (most of Europe), remember that some nationals need so called Schengen visa. Schengen visa is a travel document.
Check the schengen visa travel guide

Advertisement: