A quick question on upgrading from Beta 3.1 to Beta 4

Started by AJ32, August 26, 2008, 05:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ32

I hope this hasn't been already brought up, I searched before posting this! ;)

Will the upgrade process from SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1 to Beta 4 be like it was to upgrade from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 (easy install through the package manager), or will it be like 1.1.5 to 2.0 - a complete new set of files.

I'm assuming it will be new files, but I just wanted to be sure before I do anything.

Thanks a lot!  :)

karlbenson

It will be new files.

As I understand it, uou won't be able to do it via SMF's package manager, until versions after smf 2.x goes final.

Deprecated

I was planning on complete new files anyway, even if there was an upgrade package. It's always better to start out with a known software configuration, and in this case 'known' means starting out with an empty server directory. The longer and older your software configuration history is the more complicated it gets and the less likely you are to be able to repeat it if that becomes necessary.

Karl as long as we're on the subject, how about the database? Will there be any conversion required, or will 4.0 be exactly the same as 2.0b3.1?

My plan is to clean the server off completely except for the database, then install 4.0, then upload and install my mods, checking each one before installing the next.

I'm prepared to make any necessary effort if any of the mod packages I wrote need updating, will have them up on the mod site as soon as possible, although I feel confident that the 4.0 changes will not affect my mod packages.

AJ32

Ok, that's what I thought. ;)

But now I'm curios too, about the database compatibility!

Rumbaar

Well the upgrade.php will handle that part of the process anyways :)  So no need to worry.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Deprecated

Quote from: AJ32 on August 26, 2008, 07:12:49 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. ;)

But now I'm curios too, about the database compatibility!

Beta 4 requires a database upgrade. Reply to this topic if you need to know how.

Advertisement: