News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Smiley sets active problem

Started by SpectroPro, August 26, 2008, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpectroPro

Ok..I never understood this in 1.x and now still having problems in 2.x   Maybe I am just wanting something that is not and never going to be possible..  Or maybe I am just an idiot, cause I have spent over 8 hours JUST in the last 2 days trying to figure out what I am NOT doing.

I have read many posts about smileys, and while some people mention this, they are not apparently looking for the same thing I am...

I have installed 5 smiley sets (about 170 smileys).  I do NOT want users to choose the sets. 

I want, however, to 'activate' more than one set at a time.   This way, I can have one set active as my default set.  These would show up on my post window..   I also want a different or several different sets to appear on my pop up window..  I know I could put these all into one big set..but I didn't want to do that.   And, if you download 5 sets from the add-on site,  you would have to open them and make one set before installing..

Now, apparently, you are supposed to be able to add a set you upload INTO any other set..  WELL, if this is possible, what is the method.  I have installed correctly with the same image for all sets checked when I tried with single smileys..

I guess I am asking,

- Is there a way, or will there be a way to activate MORE than one set at a time.  (seems like the easiest way to fix everything)

- If a user has multiple sets, HOW can you make the smileys in those sets 'merge' into other sets so that you don't get the 'smiley not found in.....' description under Edit Smileys, without having to manually merge the sets or folders into one big one.

Quick example:   I upload a new set of banana icons called :  Bananas    I want to use the default smiley set as my smileys, BUT, I want my banana's available via the [more] link in the pop-up window.  When I look at the Edit smileys admin tab, I want to see the banana's AND the default smileys there.  NOT just whichever set name is chosen in the drop down. 

Again, I have spent hours, and am thinking I will have to just make ONE HUGE smiley folder with every smiley I want active in it. 

Thanks for any/all help on this..  Maybe one huge folder is the only way to do it, but if that is so, then a merge button built into the smiley admin area would save many people a TON of work and problems.. 

Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

Rumbaar

1.  No, you'll need them all in the one set and then have them main, hidden or popup.  There is a mod for 1.1.x call Smiley Pops that does this sort of grouping, but the number of errors and issues I've seen from it I wouldn't dare using it on any forum I'd have to deal with.

2. I think making sure the actual image files are in that smiley folder will solve that issue.

Yes I think all images need to be in the folder of the smiley set you are using.  So the 'banana' set needs to be in the default smiley set folder.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

SpectroPro

THANKS!!!   That's what I thought, and was afraid of.  Sucks if you have (and we do) 300+ smileys.. LOL

The ability to have multiple sets show up in a board use 'grouping' would be really handy!!! 

Something along the lines of :

Smiley Sets          Active in Group             Type
Smiley set 1                    1                        Main
Smiley set 2                    2                        Main
Smiley set 3                    2                        Pop-up
Smiley set 4                    1                        Pop-up
Smiley set 5                    1                        Pop-up

Site default smiley set       1

Something like that would RULE!!!  Then each set would be alone, and you just tell it where to go.  Then you can assign the smiley's as you do currently as to what smiley goes with what symbol..

Hmm.. where should I post this idea???   :)
Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

Rumbaar

The [Mod] Request would be the first place I'd look to post.

The idea behind the Smiley Pops mod is a good one, it's just a shame with the system we have and it's coding it just hasn't been able to pull it off with any certainty.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: