How do I Put Advertising ads at the top of my messageboard

Started by ronboy, August 30, 2008, 10:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smp420

Actually this mod is compatible with 2.0 rc2 it's just not compatible with curve. It installs fine on core.
"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

Arantor

And since Curve is the default theme in RC2 it is not incorrect to say it won't install on a default install of RC2.

smp420

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

donelson

Quote from: smp420 on November 19, 2009, 08:37:13 PM
yes I just stated that for anyone using core.

I have Core set up as my theme; could you please give me steps exactly how to install this?

"ad_mod_v2-3-5_SMF_v2-0RC1-1"

Do I put this on my local disk, upload it somewhere into my site, or what?

thanks
Mac dual G5, OSX 10.4.11 - SMF 2.0 RC2

Arantor

You install that using the Package Manager like any other mod. Just you ignore the errors for installing to default theme, and use the "Install as other themes" collapsed option in the install screen.

donelson

Quote from: Arantor on November 20, 2009, 08:14:48 AM
You install that using the Package Manager like any other mod. Just you ignore the errors for installing to default theme, and use the "Install as other themes" collapsed option in the install screen.

God I am still lost here. "Package Manager"? Do I need to install that too? How?

Could someone please take pity on me and give me a 1. 2. 3. 4. 5....

thanks

This is what I see under "Download Packages" in my forum admin:
Simple Machines Third-party Mod Site[ Delete ][ Browse ]
SMF Ad Management[ Delete ][ Browse ]

Arantor

The Package Manager is a core part of SMF, which I linked to our manual on.

1. Download the file you already mentioned.
2. Go to Admin > Packages > Download Package
3. Use the bottom option to upload the file you have on your computer
4. Press Upload
5. Press Install Mod
6. If you don't get any errors, press install

donelson

Quote from: Arantor on November 20, 2009, 10:07:15 AM3. Use the bottom option to upload the file you have on your computer

On a Mac, that button only allows Safari to upload a file, not a folder. *arg*

(Note: after I downloaded the orig, the Mac automatically de-zipped it and deleted the orig .zip file)

Should I re-zip it, and then upload it?

Arantor

Yes, you should re-zip it and be careful to ensure it is the same file as off the Mod site.

donelson

Quote from: Arantor on November 20, 2009, 12:15:35 PM
Yes, you should re-zip it and be careful to ensure it is the same file as off the Mod site.

Re-zip and upload gave the following error:

QuotePackage upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

I will try the steps 1-4 now

donelson

Steps 1-4 complete, but errors:

Quote1.   Execute Code   install.php   
   2.   Execute Modification   ./index.php   Test successful
   3.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/Admin.php   Test successful
   4.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/index.template.php   Test failed
   1.   Add After   ./Themes/default/index.template.php   Test successful
   2.   Replace   ./Themes/default/index.template.php   Test failed
   3.   Replace   ./Themes/default/index.template.php   Test failed
   4.   Add After   ./Themes/default/index.template.php   Test successful
   5.   Add After   ./Themes/default/index.template.php   Test successful
   6.   Add Before   ./Themes/default/index.template.php   Test successful
   5.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php   Test failed
   1.   Add Before   ./Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php   Test successful
   2.   Add After   ./Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php   Test failed
   6.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/Display.template.php   Test successful
   7.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php   Test failed
   1.   Add After   ./Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php   Test successful
   2.   Add After   ./Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php   Test failed
   8.   Execute Modification   ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php   Test successful
9.   Extract File   ./Sources/Ads.php   
10.   Extract File   ./Sources/LoadAds.php   
11.   Extract File   ./Themes/default/Ads.template.php   
12.   Extract File   ./Themes/default/languages/Ads.english.php   
13.   Extract File   ./Themes/default/languages/Ads.english-utf8.php

Arantor

Reason you get the error before is likely because the archive wasn't built properly.

As for the errors... you'll have to have a read of the mod's thread where they discuss it better.

smp420

As Arantar said go to install in other themes and mark core and install it anyways even though you get errors from the curve theme.
Quote from: Arantor on November 20, 2009, 08:14:48 AM

Advertisement: