Updated to SMF 2.0 but the forum pratically doesn't work anymore :\

Started by FreeSporePrints, September 06, 2008, 04:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeSporePrints

Hello,
i've updated my forum from SMF to 1.1.4 to SMF 2.0 but pratically the forum doesn't work anymore. It graphically work but a lot functions are dead:

- the BBC code doesn't work anymore ( i click for example on Quote button but nothing appears)
- the Quote box there aren't. I see the same background of the post after "Quote:"
- the Gallery2 integration doesn't work anymore
- some customized buttons of the forum there aren't anymore
- i see a BIG margin between the maintab and the posts
- the location mod doesn't work anymore

What to do?

I'm very sad of this. I don't know PHP and i was very tired to customize my forums like i wanted. A really waste of time!

Upgrade the forum was a must cause i received 2 hacker attacks in a week.

F.

babjusi

Quote from: FreeSporePrints on September 06, 2008, 04:18:54 PM
Hello,
i've updated my forum from SMF to 1.1.4 to SMF 2.0 but pratically the forum doesn't work anymore. It graphically work but a lot functions are dead:

- the BBC code doesn't work anymore ( i click for example on Quote button but nothing appears)
- the Quote box there aren't. I see the same background of the post after "Quote:"
- the Gallery2 integration doesn't work anymore
- some customized buttons of the forum there aren't anymore
- i see a BIG margin between the maintab and the posts
- the location mod doesn't work anymore

What to do?

I'm very sad of this. I don't know PHP and i was very tired to customize my forums like i wanted. A really waste of time!

Upgrade the forum was a must cause i received 2 hacker attacks in a week.

F.

Can you post a link to your forum or screenshots of the problems?

If you had made custom changes to your forums, it is normal that they will not work anymore with the 2.0 version. If you had mods from the mod site, some of them have been upgraded to work with the 2.0. Have a look or ask at the mods support topics if their authors are willing to upgrade their mods. If you had other custom things made for your site from third party sites/authors, ask their authors if they can make them compatible with the new version.

P.s. Did you make a backup of your db/forum files at least before you upgraded your forum?

FreeSporePrints

Dear babjusi,
i've discovered how to add the buttons, but the new method doesn't work, just the older one.

QuoteCan you post a link to your forum or screenshots of the problems?

See wit your eyes on www.FreeSeedsRing.org

QuoteIf you had made custom changes to your forums, it is normal that they will not work anymore with the 2.0 version. If you had mods from the mod site, some of them have been upgraded to work with the 2.0. Have a look or ask at the mods support topics if their authors are willing to upgrade their mods.

the sad thing is that only very few mods work on SMF 2.0..however the mods aren't so important, i can make less of them, but the important things are the common functions of the forum and the Gallery2 integration (Oldiesman save me!).

QuoteIf you had other custom things made for your site from third party sites/authors, ask their authors if they can make them compatible with the new version.

i use only SMF and Gallery2. Gallery2 works perfectly, the problem is SMF!

QuoteP.s. Did you make a backup of your db/forum files at least before you upgraded your forum?

Of course but they're pratically unuseful, because after a day or 2 they are hacked!

F.

greyknight17

What do you mean the new method doesn't work? The upgrade between version 1.1.4 to 2.0 is a major change and mods will not work unless they are updated to the newer version.

Although SMF 2.0 is publicly released, it's still beta and not suggested to be used on production sites. You can always update to SMF 1.1.5 instead which is the latest stable release.

FreeSporePrints

hi grey,
the problem is that SMF 1.1.5 has been hacked!

the new method: i mean with adding buttons editing the Source/subs.php file

F.

NickC

It is highly unlikely that SMF 1.1.5 was hacked. If you were hacked it was almost certain that your server was compromised or they used a back door such as a bridge. You are more likely to be hacked using beta software than a stable production release.

FreeSporePrints

Quote from: NickC on September 07, 2008, 12:02:00 PM
It is highly unlikely that SMF 1.1.5 was hacked. If you were hacked it was almost certain that your server was compromised or they used a back door such as a bridge. You are more likely to be hacked using beta software than a stable production release.

i'm very confused :\

greyknight17

Why are you editing the Subs.php file? If you want to add more navigation buttons, it's in /Themes/<your theme>/index.template.php

FreeSporePrints

A lot of people here say to edit the Subs.php (that in fact doesn't work), instead i use the method you said and it's okay.

F.

Ps. Is possible a downgrade from SMF 2.0 to SMF 1.1.5?

babjusi

Quote from: greyknight17 on September 07, 2008, 10:34:57 PM
Why are you editing the Subs.php file? If you want to add more navigation buttons, it's in /Themes/<your theme>/index.template.php

He wants to add buttons in the 2.0 version greyknight17 :)

Quote from: FreeSporePrints on September 08, 2008, 02:27:12 AM
Ps. Is possible a downgrade from SMF 2.0 to SMF 1.1.5?

Yes, it is. Did you make a backup of the db before you upgraded to 2.0? If yes, all you have to do is restore the backup and you are good to go.

However if you didn''t make a backup, then a difficult road lays ahead of you. You must alter manually the db tables in order to downgrade to 1.1.6.

FreeSporePrints

I've the backup of the total server :)

What have i to do exactly?

F.

FreeSporePrints

bump

EDIT: ...SOLVED!

I've simply realoaded the backup (files on the FTP and old database with BigDump). Then downloaded the upgrade for SMF 1.1.6, uploaded and extracted into my /smf folder and upgraded.

SMF staff i love you  :P

F.

Advertisement: