News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Hacked!!!!!!

Started by ksshane, September 07, 2008, 09:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksshane

Not sure how this happened, but my board was hacked today.   www.wichitaparanormal.com   

You click the enter button and the address goes to the correct address, but now it has some chanting crap on it.

Anyone know how this could have happened.

I had all the current updates.

aldo

You were running 2.0 Beta 3.1?

Did you have any modifications installed?

ksshane

only mods were the tiny portal mod, and gallery mod

ksshane

It looks like just the index page was hacked.

aldo

So you should be able to upload a fresh index.php file and it should be fixed, but if you can, you should check out your logs so you can see who might have done this and how

ksshane

so I reloaded just the index.php file because that is what appears to be the only thing effected, and now I get this

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: smf_seed_generator() in /home/ksshane/public_html/wichitaparanormal.com/forum/index.php on line 86"

any ideas?

Im just hoping I can save this and not have to loose the 300 members on my site.

Any help is much appreciated

forsakenlad

This has happened due to a recent vulnerability that has been discovered. Please download this package:

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-beta3-1p_install.zip

After, extract the index.php and overwrite it with your current one. When it's done go to your ACP and run the SMF 2.0 Beta 4 update package to patch the vulnerability.
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

ksshane

I just heard back from my server, and they are going to reset everything to the last time it was working (I told them this morning).

As soon as its back up Ill load the package.

Thank you guys for your help.   Hopefully everything will be back to normal pretty quickly.

I dont post often, but I have been using SMF for years, and this is the first time anything like this has ever happened.

forsakenlad

Great to hear that you were able to get a backup restored. I would like to note that this security vulnerability wasn't caused by SMF but by the rand() function in PHP not being random enough on win32 servers.

To prevent such an issue again, I strongly encourage you to check out your package manager for possible security fixes in the future. Post here more often, we're always thrilled to have feedback from our community :)

ksshane

ok.. got everything back online about 2am.     

Its showing that Im running the latest version 1.1.6.   Does this have the same problem, or should I still go ahead, and load the beta version

forsakenlad

ksshane

Great, and thanks again for all your help.

Its funny how you get use to seeing something everyday...   Take it for granted, and then when you think its gone you sort of go into a panick...lol

Advertisement: