News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Migrating Members/Boards/Posts to 2.0 Beta 4

Started by Profesor Pennington, September 08, 2008, 12:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Profesor Pennington

I created a new SMF 2 Beta 4 Forum and Would like to import the members, posts and boards of My 1.1.6 Forum that is still being hosted in another area.

I backed up the 1.1.6 forum to get a SQL file.  I tried importing that file into my new SMF2 database and it screwed everything up. -So I deleted it and re installed fresh the new SMF Beta4 Forum.

How can I migrate my users/ posts/ boards from the 1.1.6 Forum to the new 2.0 Beta 4 Forum?

Thank you for your help!!!  :)

Also.. when the Final Release of Smf 2 comes out.  How hard will it be to move all members/boards/posts from the Beta to the Final version?

Thanks,

Prof Penn

karlbenson

The format of 1.1.x and 2.x are extremely different from a database point of view.
Many columns have been renamed, altered, dropped or added.

What I would suggest you do is copy your entire 1.1.6 forum, then upgrade that to 2.x.
Then you've got 1 x 1.1.6 forum, and the 2.x forum you were after.

There is no easy way just to select members posts and boards to import because smf uses relational tables.
Posts alone tie into over a dozen tables.

Profesor Pennington

Tried that many times... always same error.

Forum is 1.1.6

Upgrade Package  I keep try to using is the 2 beta 4 large upgrade.

I copy the files of the package into the directory of the forum... it overwrites several files/directories.... I run upgrade Php... and then I get the message.

Any ideas?

ERROR MESSAGE BELOW.

The upgrader was unable to find some crucial files.

Please make sure you uploaded all of the files included in the package, including the Themes, Sources, and other directories.

Double check

Rumbaar

Like Karlbenson has suggest create a duplicate of the 1.1.6 install.  So create a second db, and import the data into that.  Take the Large Upgrade package for SMF 2.x and upload all the files.  Take the settings.php file from your 1.1.6 and copy it to that new install.  Then alter the db, username and password details to match the new install in the db you've just made (make sure you change this and it's 100% correct so you don't alter your live 1.1.6 install) and then run the upgrade.php file.

It should now go through the process of upgrading your db and configuring your 2.x forum with all your live data.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: