News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Wap2 link and search engines

Started by chadon, September 10, 2008, 07:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadon

I installed the beta 4 on a test forum and noticed a link sending to the wap2 pages at the bottom of the pages. This could be an interesting feature as I have seen many forums using archive pages that are easily crawled by search engines due to their light weight but they all have a link to view the full version.

With SMF, if a visitor comes from a search and lands in one of the wap pages, they have no way to view the normal version of the forum as there is no exit link.

Is there a way to add a link to the normal version of the page or at least to the homepage in the default wap template? If not, I think this link should be removed or have the nofollow/noindex tag.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:
With SMF
With Vbulletin

karlbenson

This is already on the bug tracker. Hopefully it will be fixed for smf 2.x and some point.
http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=1141

Personally I would like to see them noindexed anyway.
Since search engines only index a limited no. of pages per sites. It better to make sure they are proper versions of pages.

chadon

Search engines may index more pages if they are loading faster. I noticed that forums using lo-fi versions of their pages have much more indexed pages than other forums. Before I upgraded my forum to smf beta, I had links in each page sending to their equivalent wap page which contained a link to view the full version equivalent. I didn't install this mod after the upgrade and the number of pages indexed by Google has decreased a lot since.
Didn't you ever land in a forum lo-fi page after making a search on the web? It happens to me all the time.

karlbenson

Indeed, but if you have the same page indexed as lofi and full its equivalent to duplicate content.

chadon

Yes I thought about this problem but the useless text displayed by the templates would not be showing so it's not really duplicate and if it works with softwares like Vbulletin why not with SMF?
I am simply suggesting and I will let the developers decide what is better :)

Advertisement: