News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

community builder SMF registrations synchusers()

Started by tjay, January 26, 2005, 09:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjay

I have people sending for the moded registration php file so that the community builder function is called.
This keeps the mambo and community builder database tables in synch.
So basicly when you register with the SMF bridge, it creates a mambo entry and synchs it up. Now Mambo SMF and community builder all have the user entries needed to work together.

Problem
I can not find a way to attach it here or in the many private messages I am getting for it.
How can I get this to someone so it is available to others?

Please note, I am not a pro at this and it does effect the upload of images to user profiles. IE only png files work. (strange huh)

chadness

You'll need to put it on a server somewhere and post a link to it.

DirkDiggler

Ill host it for you, just email me the file and Ill put it on my server and post the link

[email protected]

AlphaWolf

:D  Can you post when its somewhere we can get at it?

I was afraid I would have to choose between community builder and SMF...NOT a choice I want to have to make.  If this works then I just have to figure out how to integrate Flash Chat into the whole thing... OY!

Peace

Wolf
http://www.alphaone-tech.com AlphaOne Web Hosting & Design

[Unknown]

I can attach it if you email it to me or give me a link.

-[Unknown]

DirkDiggler

marcnyc

Quote from: AlphaWolf on January 27, 2005, 09:06:48 PM
:D  Can you post when its somewhere we can get at it?

I was afraid I would have to choose between community builder and SMF...NOT a choice I want to have to make.  If this works then I just have to figure out how to integrate Flash Chat into the whole thing... OY!

Peace

Wolf

Hi Wolf, I have already figured that out for you (how to integrate FlashChat).
Have a look at my tutorial http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=17856.0

Quote from: tjay on January 26, 2005, 09:17:52 PM

I have people sending for the moded registration php file so that the community builder function is called.
This keeps the mambo and community builder database tables in synch.
So basicly when you register with the SMF bridge, it creates a mambo entry and synchs it up. Now Mambo SMF and community builder all have the user entries needed to work together.

Problem
I can not find a way to attach it here or in the many private messages I am getting for it.
How can I get this to someone so it is available to others?

Please note, I am not a pro at this and it does effect the upload of images to user profiles. IE only png files work. (strange huh)

Hi Tjay, I am interested in knowing how you did this.
I also achieved this a while ago but I wanted to compare our methods.
I have done it simulating an admin session and synching CB so that the tables have the same data.
It works fine and I actually achieve this on registration of new users, but I wanted to kno how you did it.
I have been experiencing weird and serious athorization issues (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=26972.0) but I doubt they are CB's fault...

I am also not a pro, so I am interested in what you did Tjay.
I can show you my code if you wish.

marcnyc

By the way I had a chance to test this and I am not sure it works.
I am using Mambo 4.5.1a and SMF 1.0.1 and the latest bridge as of (Feb 11th 2005).
Upon a new member registration I did not see the member in the CB user list until I manually synchronized...

mikewest

has anyone been able to successfully use the community builder with smf?

mikewest

Fardo

can you show us your site ... (as an example) and do you keep the bridge functionality ... community builder is a good profile db

mikewest

i can't give an example at this moment... i uninstalled it all and will try again from scratch.... but i still don't know how to keep CB and SMF working together....

ccondrup

Mikewest: That link seems to be dead - does that mean you didnt get 4.5.2 to work, or did it work and now you're working on updating the main site?

Has anyone gotten this to work with 4.5.2?
I have Mambo 4.5.2 working through the 3.02 bridge with SMF 1.0.2 quite allright, but not with CB. Is there a preferred order one should install? Which components first etc?

Ultimately I want to use Community Builder Enhanced which you can read more on here - it just seems to really make use of CB's abilities.
-> See how good the profiles can be with this - but it seems to work only with SimpleBoard... which just doesn't even compare to SMF.

Come on, gurus - please give it a shot :)
Thanks from Norway (yes, I'll contribute with a translation in return ;) )

mikewest

I tried very hard to get CB to work, but then i decided to give up on that dream and try to redo the profiles by hand, or i might just upload the information into the database via an excel form, not sure if it will work, but i am going to try it this way.

BTW here is the new test link.  www.perfectpalletspostpress.com/testpp

ccondrup

Oh, that's too bad. It's weird not more people seek this solution... I think it's mostly because they're not aware of these great apps.

In the Mambo SMF showcase thread it says that www.ChainDLK.com has the site working with CB, but when logged in and pressing a username-link, you're only taken to the ordinary SMF user profile page, so I'm not sure...

I'm leaning towards going for SimpleBoard, just because I need Community Builder and 4.5.2 version of Mambo... and I really do not want to give up SMF :\

Kindred

Ok... here's what I don't understand...

why do you need community builder?

What does CB have that you really need?

Why would you settle for something as stepped down as simpleboard, when it is not really difficult to modify your SMF profile template to do most of the things that CB does???

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mikewest

Well, i am in the midst of doing this now, changing smf registration form... 2 issues.

1. can't take all of the current in the CB profiles and apply that to new fields that will be created.  Or can they?

2.  I am having an issue adding new fields with the smf bridge, they are not showing up in the registration form that comes with the Mos_mod_login, but is being changed in the forum "register" section.  Why is this?  And how come they are different?  How can i make the new fields appear in the smf_login?

Kindred

1) of course they can be moved over...

anything that is stored in the SQL database can be moved around and manipulated... you just have to know how to do it.

2) because you're not editting the right file. \
com_smf_registration is the file you want to play with...  not register.template.php.
however, you will also want to make changes to profile.template.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mikewest

can it be done like this:?

1.  export into excel smf profiles once all is customized, then export into excel CB fields - Merge the CB fields into the smf excel sheet then up that over the existing info?  Did that even make sense? lol

2.  What is the purpose of editing the profile.template.php... is it just to sync the changes made to the com_smf_registration so that they match up with the profiles?

Kindred

Excel? ummm.... essentially, I think you are saying the correct thing.
Extract the CB data from the SQL database.
add new fields in the SMF user profile table
make certain you have blank record lines for each user who has NOT entered data
make certain that the extracted information is in the proper order for the SMF user-order.

add the extracted data into the new fields of the SMF user profile table

profile.template.php in SMF...

although you might only be ahving this data entered during the registration process, the SMF profile should handle all of your profile needs...

so anything that you enter in the registration should also be available in the profile for update or viewing the information of other users.
Слaва
Украинi

mikewest

are you not exporting this information (CB) into excel so that you can reorder them for the newly created smf fields?  Is there another, easier way of doing what i was somewhat describing? lol

mikewest

one more thing... am i altering smf_registration.php, or smf_registration.html.php, or both?

Its a bit more difficult finding the right place to inpu infomation with ths smf_registration as the other tutorials are having you search for totally different fields.

Kindred

yes, I guess excel works.  I tend to keep my text in text format. :)

ummm...
From what I can see with a quick glance, you'll have to edit com_smf_registration.html.php to get the form fields in there...  and com_smf_registration.php to set those fields into the database...
Слaва
Украинi

mikewest

Thanks... i will try the text file instead of excel....

next, i was afraid that i would have to alter both files... i might just take the lazy way out and have the register link point to the one in the forum and just alter that one, its easier... lol..

i know that the users won't show up in the mambo admin, but what does that really cost you, not much... i can still see the users with my mamml newsletter which is good, and i can;t think of any other reasons why i would need to see them with mambo, can you?

Kindred

nope..   that's the main point I had when questioning why people felt the need for CB...

quite honestly, everything to do with users can easily be handled through SMF...

Orstio is working on a profile manager for the bridge...

and I'm working on adding some of the other SMF functions into a mambo format (like the calendar display, so we can dump the events component and use the SMF calendar feature, which is directly tied into the user permissions...)
Слaва
Украинi

mikewest

I agree, smf can do whatever mambo can as far as users are concerned...

That would be sweet if there was a mod to show the calendar from smf in mambo..... how close to completion are you?

Mike

Kindred

Well, I already have an "events list" module, which will show the upcoming holidays, birthdays and events.

I'm working on revising that to make the choice of what to display a parameter.

I am also taking the displayed calendar from White Rabbit's original design and seeing if I can get that working with the bridge. I just started looking at that yesteray. :)
Слaва
Украинi

kikkeraap

It just doesn't make any sense, how can I you the CB register system, while the user database is in sync with SMF. I did read this topic, but I just don't understand, isn't there a step by step description how to solve this puzzle?
Thnx!

ping

Quotequite honestly, everything to do with users can easily be handled through SMF...

After having fiddled around with CB, it seemed a lot easier to add custom fields to the user's profile than it has been for SMF, because I can just click and type and add--I don't have to go in and change the SMF files. This is appealing, because I'm paranoid about breaking stuff. Unless there's a package I don't know about for SMF. ;)
One Ping Only

Kindred

currently, CB does NOT merge well with the bridged SMF.

There are a number of problems, the main one being that CB does not sync properly with the SMF users.

Ping: No, there is not currently a package for SMF. However, one could be written fairly easily... and I know Orstio is working on a Profile manager module/component for the bridge.
Слaва
Украинi

tjay

I have not tried the synchuser function solution with the newer versions of mambo /SMF
because the latest ones dont allow SEF to work.
But if the user is in the Mambo user table as they should be with the bridge working correctly, then calling the function should align community builder with SMF
If I can ever get past the SEF problem I will test it with the new versions and let you know.

kikkeraap

Still my question remains, is there a step by step procedure how to sync users with CB and SMF? For example the site hxxp:www.chaindlk.com [nonactive].?

Kindred

I believe the answer is "no".

no one has seen CB as such a huge need that they were willing to make a step-by-step guide.
Слaва
Украинi

tjay

Well actually I do see the advantage for using the three together. The SMF and Mambo Profiles are not as easily customized as they are with community builder.
I will write a step by step as soon as I figure out the SEF thing,

kikkeraap

I think that I've found the solutiuon to the problem. There's an integration compenent on this website hxxp:www.nuy.info/726/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDownload&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=4 [nonactive]
which I've installed. When you register via the CB login module the user will also be registered with the smf forum! I keeps both user database is sync! what do you all think of this component?

chadness

Are you talking about that Mambo-SMF component?  That works with CB, and not just regular Mambo?  I haven't tried that component at all, but could be cool.

Kindred

hmmm....   he's using iframe for this... ICK!

and he's gone the other way from Orstio.

Orstio seems to have developed a bridge that will allow SMF SysOps to add Mambo... SMF still controls most of the data.

Nuy seems that have taken Mambo and added on SMF. Mambo is controlling most of the data.
I can not say what effect this may have on various SMF functions (like the calendar) but Idon't believe that using Nuy's bridge will sync the SMF user profile with whatever you have in Mambo, especially if you use CB.
So, like most of what seems to be happening, your users will have two separate profiles (among other things).
Слaва
Украинi

tjay

Ok I now have SEF working kind of, and community builder synching users upon registration to the SMF bridge.
How this works.
Using Mambo 4.5.2 SMF 1.0.2 and bridge 3.0.2
the user registers via the bridge
an entry is made into the mambo user database
the synch users function is called and the community builder and mambo users are synched
end result the user is registered with SMF Mambo and CB

Only problem, if you leave SEF on no one can make posts or reply
turn SEF off and all is well.
So the SEF is stilll holding me back.
Anyone have any idea how to get SEF to work correctly?
I have SEF turned on in Mambo and SMF is this correct?

NoRad

God I'd love to see CB working with SMF Bridge. It is such an appealing addition to Mambo. Some of the things I really want are: multiple photos per profile without going through coppermine. It's not easy to add this in SMF. I also want the buddylists function. So far, nobody has stepped up to the plate to design one for SMF.  :'( psst I hope we get a enhanced private messages soon!!  :P

Kindred

there is a buddy list mod for SMF (Which I hear has made it as a feature in 1.1)

and what's enhanced?  I think PMs are nearlt perfect as is..   :)
Слaва
Украинi

NoRad

Unless there is a new release of the buddylist mod, it does not come anywhere close to what I consider a viable buddylist mod.

Specifically: There needs to be a buddylist displayed on your profile (like your friends). There should be a buddies page where you can easily access your buddies profiles, send them messages, and see if they are currently online. There needs to be an opt-in method in order to add someone to your buddylist. This should all work similar to Friendster or Myspace. It's been a hot thing on community websites for awhile, and this community Builder appears to have this functionality built in. I've requested this as a mod before on the SMF site and nobody really had a definitive answer as to how it could be done or what needed to be changed to make it happen. I know everybody is busy... So I figured that this is easier than bothering people to do something specifically for me.

The Private Messages need one major change: The display should be like your typical Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail inbox. You see a list of messages: Author, topic, Date. click on the message to open a page with the message details. I don't like the message details being stacked like a forum thread. This is confusing and difficult to navigate for me and most other users. The other small change that I think should be default with SMF is the inclusion of a private messages button next to profile / calendar. It's a big part of the community, especially if you add a legit buddylist system.

Community Builder also appears to give you lists/groups. I am not sure if this is as advanced as Yahoo Groups, but that is something I'm interested in as well. In addition to this, there is another plugin that supposedly lets people create their own profile pages. AsianAvenue.com used to have this feature, and while it was widely abused with streaming audio files and lame javascript hacks, it is something that i think could be used as a nice custom profile page. (MAYBE).

Don't forget one of the main things I mentioned in my previous post that you didn't address: adding more than one photo to a profile page. This is big on all the major community sites as well. You get the thumbnail and then 4 or 5 more pictures that can blow up to full size (within reason).

There is a lot that SMF can do, but it seems like it would be easier to work at getting SMF to integrate with Community Builder instead of making mods for SMF to emulate these functions, even though it's capable. The support on here is stretched thin as it is with the existing updates and mods. This is a fairly vast undertaking imo.

ccondrup

Hello again, nice to see some activity here!
Kindred, since you asked: Why do I want Community Builder integration, and not just extended profiles in SMF?
Because there is already so many nice features in CB, development is really running smoothly, and it's a good platform for building other script/functions from. I think you guys here at SM have the best forum ever, and should stick to making just that, or enhancing it (in my case: make it compatible with CB  ;) ). Let others do the work with profiles and, well... community feature building..

I have really gotten into CB after getting the enhanced version from MamboMe. It just makes the profiles really cool. See an example here: A profile at a cat site - You've got the buddy list with invites, PM-links, online-indicator and all, you have a tab for images submitted by that user, one for testimonials, one for the articles written by that user, etc etc... it's great.  Note that it also has a configurable option for integrating myPMS, maybe SMF PM also could be easily integrated?
Take a look at the rate of releases of CBE from MamboMe lately... yes, the development is coming along at blazing speed, and there will probably be updates quite often - so why not let these guys add functionality regarding profiles, and then you focus on the forum?

Now imagine something like this, only with SMF instead of SimpleBoard  ..anyone else get that tickling sensation between the legs?  :P

NoRad

ccondrup

Hello again - just wanted to give notice of this thread, which indeed sounds promising :)
http://www.mambohacks.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/expv,/topic,20.0/ (yes, it's the site of the user "cowboy1015" here, who has this thread about the hack.

taucher

Quote from: kindred on March 08, 2005, 03:42:02 PM

quite honestly, everything to do with users can easily be handled through SMF...

Orstio is working on a profile manager for the bridge...

i think that a "nickpage" or something like that would be very usefull. cb ist a great tool - but its to heavy. it would be cool if it is possible to add some fields in the profile of smf - that would be enough. i know that it is possible if you do the changes manually, but i think a nickpage for smf with some files that everyone can customize would be fine.

what will the profile-manage on that oristo is working do? something like a nickpage?

NoRad

Looks interesting. I'll have to install this tomorrow.

blackcatplanet

Quote from: ccondrup on March 22, 2005, 08:39:47 PM
Hello again, nice to see some activity here!
Kindred, since you asked: Why do I want Community Builder integration, and not just extended profiles in SMF?
Because there is already so many nice features in CB, development is really running smoothly, and it's a good platform for building other script/functions from. I think you guys here at SM have the best forum ever, and should stick to making just that, or enhancing it (in my case: make it compatible with CB  ;) ). Let others do the work with profiles and, well... community feature building..

I have really gotten into CB after getting the enhanced version from MamboMe [nofollow]. It just makes the profiles really cool. See an example here: A profile at a cat site [nofollow] - You've got the buddy list with invites, PM-links, online-indicator and all, you have a tab for images submitted by that user, one for testimonials, one for the articles written by that user, etc etc... it's great.  Note that it also has a configurable option for integrating myPMS, maybe SMF PM also could be easily integrated?
Take a look at the rate of releases of CBE from MamboMe lately... yes, the development is coming along at blazing speed, and there will probably be updates quite often - so why not let these guys add functionality regarding profiles, and then you focus on the forum?

Now imagine something like this, only with SMF instead of SimpleBoard  ..anyone else get that tickling sensation between the legs?  :P

I SO Wholeheartedly AGREE!
.               >^.^<                      Info: Bridge 3.16, SMF 1.0.3, Mambo 4.5.2.1 phpshop ed.
          Black Cat Planet              Remote Host: godaddy.com [nofollow], Apache w/linux server, MySQL 3.23.49, Php 4.3.11
     Two-Person Admin Team       Local Host: Windows w/Xampp 1.4.11 (MySQL 1.4.8, php 4.3.10)
http://www.blackcatplanet.com [nofollow] - But we're working on: http://www.blackcatplanet.com/blackcathome [nofollow]

*Want*: M

BrianB

I'd like to see CB work with the Mambo-SMF bride as well.

I don't need CB profiles in sync with SMF profiles though.. in fact most of my CB use would be only for private viewing... I'd probably use CB more in the way that the Private Page is intended to be used.  But this would work for me and how my site operates... not necessarily anyone else's site.

Advertisement: