News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

community builder SMF registrations synchusers()

Started by tjay, January 26, 2005, 09:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

hmmm....   he's using iframe for this... ICK!

and he's gone the other way from Orstio.

Orstio seems to have developed a bridge that will allow SMF SysOps to add Mambo... SMF still controls most of the data.

Nuy seems that have taken Mambo and added on SMF. Mambo is controlling most of the data.
I can not say what effect this may have on various SMF functions (like the calendar) but Idon't believe that using Nuy's bridge will sync the SMF user profile with whatever you have in Mambo, especially if you use CB.
So, like most of what seems to be happening, your users will have two separate profiles (among other things).
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tjay

Ok I now have SEF working kind of, and community builder synching users upon registration to the SMF bridge.
How this works.
Using Mambo 4.5.2 SMF 1.0.2 and bridge 3.0.2
the user registers via the bridge
an entry is made into the mambo user database
the synch users function is called and the community builder and mambo users are synched
end result the user is registered with SMF Mambo and CB

Only problem, if you leave SEF on no one can make posts or reply
turn SEF off and all is well.
So the SEF is stilll holding me back.
Anyone have any idea how to get SEF to work correctly?
I have SEF turned on in Mambo and SMF is this correct?

NoRad

God I'd love to see CB working with SMF Bridge. It is such an appealing addition to Mambo. Some of the things I really want are: multiple photos per profile without going through coppermine. It's not easy to add this in SMF. I also want the buddylists function. So far, nobody has stepped up to the plate to design one for SMF.  :'( psst I hope we get a enhanced private messages soon!!  :P

Kindred

there is a buddy list mod for SMF (Which I hear has made it as a feature in 1.1)

and what's enhanced?  I think PMs are nearlt perfect as is..   :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NoRad

Unless there is a new release of the buddylist mod, it does not come anywhere close to what I consider a viable buddylist mod.

Specifically: There needs to be a buddylist displayed on your profile (like your friends). There should be a buddies page where you can easily access your buddies profiles, send them messages, and see if they are currently online. There needs to be an opt-in method in order to add someone to your buddylist. This should all work similar to Friendster or Myspace. It's been a hot thing on community websites for awhile, and this community Builder appears to have this functionality built in. I've requested this as a mod before on the SMF site and nobody really had a definitive answer as to how it could be done or what needed to be changed to make it happen. I know everybody is busy... So I figured that this is easier than bothering people to do something specifically for me.

The Private Messages need one major change: The display should be like your typical Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail inbox. You see a list of messages: Author, topic, Date. click on the message to open a page with the message details. I don't like the message details being stacked like a forum thread. This is confusing and difficult to navigate for me and most other users. The other small change that I think should be default with SMF is the inclusion of a private messages button next to profile / calendar. It's a big part of the community, especially if you add a legit buddylist system.

Community Builder also appears to give you lists/groups. I am not sure if this is as advanced as Yahoo Groups, but that is something I'm interested in as well. In addition to this, there is another plugin that supposedly lets people create their own profile pages. AsianAvenue.com used to have this feature, and while it was widely abused with streaming audio files and lame javascript hacks, it is something that i think could be used as a nice custom profile page. (MAYBE).

Don't forget one of the main things I mentioned in my previous post that you didn't address: adding more than one photo to a profile page. This is big on all the major community sites as well. You get the thumbnail and then 4 or 5 more pictures that can blow up to full size (within reason).

There is a lot that SMF can do, but it seems like it would be easier to work at getting SMF to integrate with Community Builder instead of making mods for SMF to emulate these functions, even though it's capable. The support on here is stretched thin as it is with the existing updates and mods. This is a fairly vast undertaking imo.

ccondrup

Hello again, nice to see some activity here!
Kindred, since you asked: Why do I want Community Builder integration, and not just extended profiles in SMF?
Because there is already so many nice features in CB, development is really running smoothly, and it's a good platform for building other script/functions from. I think you guys here at SM have the best forum ever, and should stick to making just that, or enhancing it (in my case: make it compatible with CB  ;) ). Let others do the work with profiles and, well... community feature building..

I have really gotten into CB after getting the enhanced version from MamboMe. It just makes the profiles really cool. See an example here: A profile at a cat site - You've got the buddy list with invites, PM-links, online-indicator and all, you have a tab for images submitted by that user, one for testimonials, one for the articles written by that user, etc etc... it's great.  Note that it also has a configurable option for integrating myPMS, maybe SMF PM also could be easily integrated?
Take a look at the rate of releases of CBE from MamboMe lately... yes, the development is coming along at blazing speed, and there will probably be updates quite often - so why not let these guys add functionality regarding profiles, and then you focus on the forum?

Now imagine something like this, only with SMF instead of SimpleBoard  ..anyone else get that tickling sensation between the legs?  :P

NoRad

ccondrup

Hello again - just wanted to give notice of this thread, which indeed sounds promising :)
http://www.mambohacks.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/expv,/topic,20.0/ (yes, it's the site of the user "cowboy1015" here, who has this thread about the hack.

taucher

Quote from: kindred on March 08, 2005, 03:42:02 PM

quite honestly, everything to do with users can easily be handled through SMF...

Orstio is working on a profile manager for the bridge...

i think that a "nickpage" or something like that would be very usefull. cb ist a great tool - but its to heavy. it would be cool if it is possible to add some fields in the profile of smf - that would be enough. i know that it is possible if you do the changes manually, but i think a nickpage for smf with some files that everyone can customize would be fine.

what will the profile-manage on that oristo is working do? something like a nickpage?

NoRad

Looks interesting. I'll have to install this tomorrow.

blackcatplanet

Quote from: ccondrup on March 22, 2005, 08:39:47 PM
Hello again, nice to see some activity here!
Kindred, since you asked: Why do I want Community Builder integration, and not just extended profiles in SMF?
Because there is already so many nice features in CB, development is really running smoothly, and it's a good platform for building other script/functions from. I think you guys here at SM have the best forum ever, and should stick to making just that, or enhancing it (in my case: make it compatible with CB  ;) ). Let others do the work with profiles and, well... community feature building..

I have really gotten into CB after getting the enhanced version from MamboMe [nofollow]. It just makes the profiles really cool. See an example here: A profile at a cat site [nofollow] - You've got the buddy list with invites, PM-links, online-indicator and all, you have a tab for images submitted by that user, one for testimonials, one for the articles written by that user, etc etc... it's great.  Note that it also has a configurable option for integrating myPMS, maybe SMF PM also could be easily integrated?
Take a look at the rate of releases of CBE from MamboMe lately... yes, the development is coming along at blazing speed, and there will probably be updates quite often - so why not let these guys add functionality regarding profiles, and then you focus on the forum?

Now imagine something like this, only with SMF instead of SimpleBoard  ..anyone else get that tickling sensation between the legs?  :P

I SO Wholeheartedly AGREE!
.               >^.^<                      Info: Bridge 3.16, SMF 1.0.3, Mambo 4.5.2.1 phpshop ed.
          Black Cat Planet              Remote Host: godaddy.com [nofollow], Apache w/linux server, MySQL 3.23.49, Php 4.3.11
     Two-Person Admin Team       Local Host: Windows w/Xampp 1.4.11 (MySQL 1.4.8, php 4.3.10)
http://www.blackcatplanet.com [nofollow] - But we're working on: http://www.blackcatplanet.com/blackcathome [nofollow]

*Want*: M

BrianB

I'd like to see CB work with the Mambo-SMF bride as well.

I don't need CB profiles in sync with SMF profiles though.. in fact most of my CB use would be only for private viewing... I'd probably use CB more in the way that the Private Page is intended to be used.  But this would work for me and how my site operates... not necessarily anyone else's site.

Advertisement: