How to install the whole program and run my own forum?

Started by LoveCrayon, September 01, 2008, 07:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveCrayon

Sorry but there are too many clients and patches and I don't know which to download. x-x Can anyone please post the link to the lastest client or latest patches so I can download directly without looking for a long time? Thanks in advance~!  :)

LoveCrayon

I downloaded it and it came out with a PHP File, what program do I need to use to open it? I tried notepad and it came out some texts.

DonGiovanni

upload to your website and it will automatically start installation trough couple steps. But you need to have php and mysql ;)

LoveCrayon

Um, I don't have my own website, can you tell me how to make my own website with the latest feature of Simple Machines?

DonGiovanni

You need to buy webhosting. You have great discussion about hostings HERE

Also you can assign to free hosting in my signature link. It's also good. When you get hosting account. You need to use ftp to upload this forum folder to your web space and just need to run installation

LoveCrayon

EDIT: I already have a phpBB website, how can I upgrade it to Simple Machines and with the latest features?

DonGiovanni

Link to phpBB website? If it's only phpBB hosting there's no way

N3RVE

Quote from: DonGiovanni on September 01, 2008, 08:28:15 AM
Link to phpBB website? If it's only phpBB hosting there's no way
Yes, is it one of the free phpBB forums hosted for free or do you have access to the source files?
If you do, we have converters for phpBB to SMF.

Alternatively, they're some free SMF Forums, e.g. http://smfforfree.com

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

DirtRider

I ran my forum on one of those free sites and it was not worth it. Better to just purchase web hosting and do your own thing.   
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

Rumbaar

Be sure to read the Online Manual, it covers what is required to run a successful forum.  If it's a free or restricted access free forum you are currently using you might be limited to what you can convert.  If you can download file and your db you should be fine.

Installing SMF

Try a search of the convert section of the forum.

Note the download section will always hold the latest version of the SMF package.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: