News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Ability not to show nicknames

Started by aneo, September 15, 2008, 02:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aneo

For forums where the actual info and only the info is important, nicknames like avatars and signatures can be very distracting and sometimes annoying. We all know that at every place as much serious as it can be there are always attention grabbers who post just to exist in the mutual space and steal attention. And this is effective way to give power to other users to rule them out.

Kindred

this already exists.

Each user can specify to Display or NOT display avatars and signatures.

The admin can set the default as well.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aneo

Thanks for your answer.
I meant to show/hide "nicknames" as an addition to the existing options for avatars and signatures.

Imho, this is very pure and concentrated way to browse, find and use information in a forum.

Kindred

???   How would you know who posted what then?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aneo

Besides dating and mainly social forums where you go to get to know people, there are places where who is posting is irrelevant. And even more - distracting.

I just managed to hide nicknames with Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper  extension for FF in one alternative news forum and am amazed how my eyes constantly jump to see who is posting (some link for example) when personally I don't give bump about it. And so forth  :)

This feature could be relief for a concentrated mind.

Kindred

meh...   I disagree, I think the poster is a critical component of the post.   

However, you could do this by editing your display.template.php file.

It doesn't belong as a feature though....
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: